Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Please look at my exhaust ports and give me your opinions!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011 | 11:13 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Please look at my exhaust ports and give me your opinions!

I know that monitoring oil consumption is the primary way to assess items such as possible valve guide wear. My issue is that I did not drive the car long enough to get any decent consumption data. What I do know is that I did not see blue smoke on start-up (but did see white smoke, that would disappear… likely condensation?)

I had been thinking that my valve guides were likely not too bad. The car is 1985 Carrera with just over 100K.

However, under the harsh glare of the camera’s flash, the ports actually look pretty iffy to me. It seems that there is some visual evidence of valve guide wear. However, I would appreciate the input and guidance of others here… What do you think? Definitely time for a top end?

Cylinder 1:

Cylinder 2:

Cylinder 3:

Cylinder 4:

Cylinder 5:

Cylinder 6:

The intakes all looked identical. This is cylinder 1:

(I have also posted this over on Pelican, so apologies to those of you who regularly frequent both sites for the repetition...)
Old 09-01-2011 | 12:02 PM
ricster
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely time for a top end?

YES
Old 09-01-2011 | 01:59 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The exhaust ports on my 78 are much, much cleaner than that. Couple of pics in my head stud thread. The have a light greyish powdery-looking coating over most of the port with a dark, oily looking, streak on the valve port side of the port. My engine's been apart before, though, possibly for a top end, and I don't know when that was. Could have been pretty recently. All I know is my history of 10,000 miles since I bought it.

I've decided that I'll have my heads refurbished. In reading posts on the matter, I found I can expect it to cost around $1000 +/- 300. I was thinking it was a lot more than that, so I'm thinking I'll just send them off and get it done and not worry if I should have done it after I put it all back together.

Brett
Old 09-01-2011 | 05:45 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,177 Likes on 844 Posts

wow great camera to get that much detail up close. cant comment on anything else though
Old 09-01-2011 | 05:56 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Do I need to pile on?
Old 09-01-2011 | 06:24 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Do I need to pile on?
That pretty much says it all!

Thank you everyone for the opinions, it does help as I really don't have a lot of basis for comparisons. If everyone was saying things like: "Aww, not so bad, likely won't need anything for another 50 or 60K", then I would probably think twice about doing it. At least this way I don't feel like a fool for adding another huge hurdle into this "project".

I contacted a few of the well respected Porsche wrenches in the area and visited the one I was most interested in today: Brent Hunter (http://huntermotorsports.ca/index.html)

He was very generous with his time, and his shop was excellent and very professionally turned out. I am going to have him do the head work and any other work in the rebuild that is beyond my capability. This will include a professional examination of the pistons, cylinders etc. I am hoping to get through this without an ungodly amount of spending, but I also don't want to re-use a piston if the ring lands are too worn either.

Brent reviewed the pros and cons of splitting the case and I decided if I'm in this far, then I should just finish it off right.

At least this way I can clear away some of those other potential Carrera bug-a-boos such as head studs and con-rod bolts...

Paypal donations will be accepted at pleasegivemeyourleftovermoney@mywifeisgoingtokillme.com (j/k!!)

Oh, and anyone: Please feel welcome to add more comments/opinions about the ports!
Old 09-01-2011 | 08:06 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,177 Likes on 844 Posts

wow you cant go wrong with Brent . I have never used him but i have heard nothing but great things about him from all air-cooled guys. Having him look at your junk would be priceless ..
er.. wait ..

Quick Reply: Please look at my exhaust ports and give me your opinions!