Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Florida rust concern on 84 Targa

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2001, 10:22 PM
R Robinson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Florida rust concern on 84 Targa

I have the option to buy a 84 Targa with 77,000 miles for $14,500. The car appears in very good shape although the clear coat is starting to peel. It is being wholesaled as-is by the dealer. He sales new cars. The car was driven in Florida but supposidly garaged. I am concerned with potential (hidden) body rust. Is this a valid worry? What are the most vulnerable areas? Also is this a good price for the car. It has the whale tail, AC, leather etc.

[ 07-01-2001: Message edited by: R Robinson ]

[ 07-01-2001: Message edited by: R Robinson ]
Old 06-29-2001, 10:55 PM
Walt
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The body is galvanized so unless the car was owned in the rust belt it should not be a concern, get a PPI to be sure. On my 82 which spent its first two years in Florida I found some minor rust around the front windshield seal which is typical. The August issue of Excellence lists the value of an 84 Targa at poor=$14,750, good=$16,770 and excellent=$22,450.
Good Luck, Walt
Old 06-30-2001, 12:40 AM
Dial 911
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While it's true the '84 body is galvanized, because it is a Targa, I would inspect the car very carefully. Targas leak, plain and simple. The water will collect in the floor pan, under the seats and carpeting. In time, corrosion will overcome the galvanizing.
At the least, pull up all the carpeting, and inspect the floor pan.
Old 06-30-2001, 03:41 AM
Ed Bighi
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Actually, Florida is the southern part of the rust belt and feels like the northern part of the central american rain forest. I know because I lived there and moved to Arizona for many reasons and an obscene quantity of rain was one of them. It rains a hell of a lot in South Florida and the salt water and air is never far from where Porsches are usually located. The highest number of rainfall inches is New Orleans, with South Florida coming in second. Also, most Florida Porsches are located in the area from Palm Beach to Miami and these cars are never far from the ocean. The reason being the fact that Porsches are usually owned by more affluent people and they are around that area and if they can, will live close to the ocean. My "sunny" (seldom) Florida Porsche had a little rust under the lower windshield seal, under the lower b-pillar seal and under the left rear fender where it meets the c-pillar. That last one happened from the undercoating going back and rainwater from the road collecting there. It is hard to dry since the humidity in Miami is like a steambath. I fixed it all and had the area re-undercoated with the right product and now it is fine. I think Performance Products sells the metal for the lower windshield base area in case it is ever needed. In any case, look carefully at any Porsche you buy, regardless of where it is from. Try to get a car that was garaged if you can. Take a flashlight and a towel, then lay down underneath the rockers and really look at it. Good luck.
Old 06-30-2001, 01:36 PM
pH
Track Day

You got some great advise from these guys. BTW if the car is in good shape that would be an excellent price, at least out here in CA.
Old 07-01-2001, 08:05 PM
86ragtop
4th Gear

Best advice ever as said GET A PPI (I did'nt and suffered!.
I also bought a Florida Carrera and found rust in the windshield surround and also under the Battery tray due to Battery over chargeing.
There are a million things to look for to check it is not a Lemon.
I am almost an expert after only 20 months as have spent $9K on upgrades and repairs.
Of that probabley $5K were not essentials but improvements.
With hindsight I would reccomend getting a better condition SC for $14K.
I paid $16K for my 86 Cab but have had an incredible amount of work done on it!.
Recon tranny, oil leaks, electrical system/alternator,seats,tires etc.
After the PPI descide what you would need to spend to have it looking as you would want it to look, and then figure if you could buy another car with all those things done for cheaper, the answer is almost definatly YES!.
If I was doing it all over I would buy a 'cherry SC' with all the upgrades for $20.
As my bill is already $25 and I am far from finished!.
Hope this is some help!
Rgds Ben
Old 07-02-2001, 06:33 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Guys,
Galvanising of the body of the 911 does not stop the onset of rust it only delays it. Any damage to the structure inside and out, accident repairs etc are all potential rust spots. Under the headlights is a classic. A stone chip is all it takes if it is not repaired promptly.
If there was no chance of rust Porsche would offer a lifetime guarantee, they do not.
The first galvanised bodies I believe had a three year warranty, this crept up to six or seven years in the 1980s and ten years for the 964 series except the 964 RS. The RS was only three years because the underside was not sealed (to reduce weight). Rust is starting to appear in the 3.2s and early 964s so please do not be fooled. A good solid PPI and a good look in all the nooks and crannies is VERY Important. One of the areas often missed is the area of body around the exhaust system. You need a mirror and torch for this sometimes. Major big issue in Germany at the moment. Any place by the salty sea is just a prone to rust as driving on salty roads in winter. I have seen Porsche parked on the sand on the beach. Might be cool but that is a lot of salty stuff to get everywhere and wait for the next drop of water,
Ciao,
Adrian.
911C4

Quick Reply: Florida rust concern on 84 Targa