Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Brocken Stabiliser Mount

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2002, 08:30 AM
Husam
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Brocken Stabiliser Mount

I was today shocked when my car was inspected over the pit to find a brocken rear stabiliser mount. The stabiliser was just hanging off! I had no idea, the car was handling quite well even at speeds in excess of 110mph.
Does anyone out there know if this mount can be successfully re-welded?
Would it hold up to the task long term?
What other options do I have for repairing it?
Any help would be appreciated
Old 08-19-2002, 11:18 AM
Dave Thomas
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What year is your car? This is a fairly common problem on certain years.I just repaired the same problem on my '88 Carrera. Welding the original parts probably won't be a permanent fix - mine had been welded and failed again. Porsche makes an improved mount that welds to the floor pan (the original mount has to be cut off). I got the parts at <a href="http://www.eurowebparts.com" target="_blank">www.eurowebparts.com</a> for about $50 per side, and had a local body shop install them for $150 labor, Problem solved. BTW, eurowebparts is a great parts source - cheapest prices I've found and so far the parts have been OEM with genuine Porsche stickers on them.
Old 08-19-2002, 02:32 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think Dave's right. The rear sway bar mount of my '88 also broke, and I never knew when it happened, even though I was tracking and autoxing the car. A good re-weld may or may not hold, depending on how the car is used. Mine held, but I kept checking it before and after every event.
Old 08-20-2002, 08:58 AM
Husam
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

My car is a '77 3.0 L Carrera, the brocken mount is the rear left. I was told it could easily be welded from this guy who's a coach builder who restores old classics.I've seen his impressive work, but rarely do these old classics get driven any where near the way I drive this car, I dont want it to break in the middle of a high speed corner.

Quick Reply: Brocken Stabiliser Mount