Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Engine Tin Removal W/O Total Drop

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 11:45 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Wow, this all looks great-nice job! Next thing you know, you're gonna be competing in Concours events.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:32 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Wow, this all looks great-nice job! Next thing you know, you're gonna be competing in Concours events.
Ah, no. Next is:

Raise engine one inch at a time until in position and make sure nothing gets pinched. DONE

Insert motor mount bolts and shifter linkage bolts. DONE

Reconnect reference sender, position sender, O2 sensor, and main electrical control terminal block. DONE

Reconnect fuel line and S tube. DONE

Install air filter and lid. DONE

Tighten all hose clamps and assemble remaining ducting on heating system. DONE

Move a shim on the fan belt.

Remove front oil cooler and install the new foam surround that has been sitting in shed for a couple years now.

Go ahead and install the parking brake pads even though I didn't get new rotors.

Fill with 20W50 almost DONE

Put in the 85watt bulbs Steve included with my H4's

Check tire pressures

Tap key.

Get smog check.

Balance tires and do a redneck toe check.

Drive to Salt Lake City

Several other things along the way DONE

Last edited by Amber Gramps; 09-17-2011 at 06:05 PM. Reason: [COLOR="Red"]DONE[/COLOR]
Old 09-17-2011, 11:42 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome! You'll love the drive after all of that hard work!
Old 09-17-2011, 12:33 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With all the new finishes, chemicals and lubes on the motor; keep a fire extinguisher handy when you start it up. Your list above on check-items is pretty good. I always add the step(while waiting for warm up after an oil change): take a small 5mm allen wrench and tighten the door check-rod mounts inside the door jam along with a squirt of oil to the hinges and a dab of grease on the door strikers.
Make sure ALL lights/bulbs are working including license plate and trunk and check battery terminals. Insert RUSH Different Stages CD in head unit...
Old 09-17-2011, 01:29 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Guys, 45 minutes ago I was in OT posting in a dog thread and eating Corn Flakes. After that I was downing large quantities of anti-inflammatory drugs and wishing they kicked in instantly and trying to drag my sorry **** outside. Now, I'm done bolting in the rear motor mounts. I had no idea it was gonna go in so quick.

Thank you all for your support and patients. It looks like a nice cool, overcast day today. May actually get this girl running.
Attached Images  
Old 09-17-2011, 02:08 PM
whalebird
Race Car

I have to take a cocktail of anti-inflammatory drugs to view OT myself.
911 motors are easy...they were designed to be serviced. Simple drive train removal is a virtue of these cars and should be done periodically for preventative/inspection reasons I contend. A week every couple of years is easy, especially if it coincides with a planned mod (say exhaust) and major service including oil and valves. I ALWAYS have a "Thanksgiving" weekend project that I plan well in advance and let everybody know well in advance.
Nice work.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:03 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Thanks whalebird. As you can see the she is only about 2' longer and 3' wider than the 911. I am very limited on space because the garage is used as part of the daycare. The city actually made me shrink the length if the shed after I finished it. They thought it was a Tuff Shed like the one it is pressed up against. Nope, designed and built it myself. It has a second story that houses all our Christmas decor.

If I had the room I'd disassemble this thing down to the paint and freshen up everything. Well, if I had room and $10,000.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:17 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Yea, I have lots of tools and very nice facilities for such projects. It's not as easy for most people like it is myself. Maybe I'm a little complacent.
Screw the city; stab a flag in the ground and declare it your land. Hide behind the Constitution. LOL
Old 09-17-2011, 11:13 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

You're gonna call me crazy, but I love the look of brushed steel. Using a nylon wheel and matte clear coat is gonna get me in trouble with the purists, but man is it sexy.

I went all in today and taped off my fan and went to work with the wire wheel then the nylon. Topped it off with a thin layer of matte clear on the hardware too. Looks like it should have looked from the factory. Gold is soooo 1988.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Engine Tin Removal W/O Total Drop