Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

87 Targa 20kmi/$27.9 - Should I buy? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2002, 11:28 PM
JMPRO
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think one thing you should keep in mind is that even though it only has 20k or so on it ,it still has 14 years on all of the hoses,o-rings and seals. All of these misc components can age and go bad without any miles being driven and in some cases can get worse because they can dry out and become brittle . I say go for it if the price doesn't hurt you, just be prepared for some expences down the road.
Jerry
Old 08-23-2002, 07:52 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for all of the input - the car is still there so both the dealer and I have time to think it over. I have asked about previous owner contact but unfortunately he has passed on the the big autobaun in the sky - the car was left to his daughter who kept it garaged and drove it very little. I will check for service records to get a clearer picture of the service history.

I will use it as a daily driver so I am also balancing paying a premium for a low miles car and then putting on 15-20K per year, eventually turning it into a high miles car and losing the value associated with a low miles car.

Or I should spend another $10K and get a 993?

Decisions, decisions...
Old 08-24-2002, 11:19 AM
frankd
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am a previous 87 targa owner .20K to 23K is where you need to be. I researched the heck out the market. Low mileage is not always a good thing. These cars need to be driven on a routine basis. Sitting around tends to detiorate like rubber tubing etc. As a matter of fact unless extreme, mileage is really not that critically important.

Get a good PPI and insist on a Leakdown test.

Quick Reply: 87 Targa 20kmi/$27.9 - Should I buy? HELP!