Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

AC Under dash vent fit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2001, 11:59 AM
Chuck Nilsen
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question AC Under dash vent fit?

Does anyone know if this item will fit on an later model 911 (1980 911 Targa SC)? I've seen these for sale in different areas, and think it would be a great way to get good circulation of air in the cabin of my 911.

Thanks!

Chuck

EBAY Air Conditioning Vent
Old 12-21-2001, 05:22 PM
jlkline
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know this vent system. Its part of the aftermarket AC (usually dealer installed)system from '74 - 76 911's manufactured by VW (VPD or VPC in the VW branch). The photo is taken upsidedown for reasons only the seller would know??

I would not want this in an SC. This unit replaces the knee strips,which would need to be removed, and changes the overall thichness and proportion of the entire dash. It is also cheaply constructed (vacuformed) and because it is so thick, the drives left knee has a tendency to hit it, so most of these used units are cracked with no good repair method.

If you want OEM, go with the early Behr factory underdash unit. Its thinner, and stepped in slightly from the front of the the dash, helping to maintain a nice proportion to the dash, and won't hit your knee. I have also seen several after market units that are similar from maybe ICE or Performance Air.

All that said, if the real problem is lack of adequate cooling, a different vent system alone won't do it. There are some after market kits that claim to improve cooling, but I don't know if they work very well. TPWS, an independent Porsche shop in Austin, claims to have developed a modification to the factory set up that improves cooling, but I don't know the specifics. Being a Targa owner, I just drive fast and keep the roof off
Old 12-21-2001, 05:41 PM
Steve W
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 40 Posts
I have the underdash vent kit from PerformanceAire and it works great. I paid about $50 for it and it replaces the factory bowtie vent under the middle of you dash. You also have to bore an additional 1' hole next to the factory one to insert an additional plastic tube from the blower box into the interior. The biggest problem according to them is not so much the cooling system, but the poor air distribution design. The additional hole, plus the adjustable vent(small and compact) blows volumes of additional air towards you, probably at least 250% more than stock so that the factory system is very acceptable. Also note that the 40' of factory hoses have hundreds of perforated bleedholes along its length, so you will have to add about a can and a half of freon in the system every year.
If it seems you car is not cold enough, you most likely also have low freon.
Old 12-21-2001, 06:46 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
It's odd, but true. The dealer-installed version looks more 'integrated' than the factory one, replacing the knee pads, while the factory-installed one is a smaller row of vents, set in slightly.

Here's a picture of the early factory-installed vents.

Both of these are different from the bowtie mod that Griffiths and Performance Aire offer, which is a single vent that goes above where the center console would be, below the ash tray. It's not as good at dissipating air across the driver and passenger, but it allows more direct air flow than the factory set-up.

I have the early factory setup for sale, if anyone's interested.
Old 12-26-2001, 10:23 PM
Rinoxus
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Do any of these places have a website or other way to contact them?
Thanks,
Bill

Quick Reply: AC Under dash vent fit?