Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

84 carrera running hot

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 10:27 PM
captmarvin
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84 carrera running hot

I'm a new owner of an 84 targa, Platnium metallic, 70,000 miles, elderly original owner only drove 400 miles since 2004. He put new brakes and tires on it before I bought it. It has been in Denver since new. All maintenance done at Porsche dealer. I have all records, including original window sticker. (over $37000).

I changed trans fluid, and engine oil/filter, (Brad Penn 20w50 & Mahr filters) new fuel and air filter. New plugs and plug wires. Replaced crushed hard lines to the brass tube oil cooler with Elephant finned lines. Today, air temp about 95, driving on Interstate 80mph, A/C off, oil temp gauge was steady at about 9:30 to 10:00 position. Is that ok, or is it too high? What else should I check/change to reduce the oil temp? I'll post pictures when I can.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:28 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hey Capt,

IMHO, thats too hot, considering the conditions.

I would be concerned that the external oil cooler's thermostat isn't opening all the way. These can be removed and tested in hot water to confirm opening temp and position.

I would also take a good look at the front of the cooler to make sure there are no bugs, grass, or general road debris partially blocking the fins on the cooler.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:40 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Is there a working fan on the front oil cooler?

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...hlight=oil+fan
Old 08-07-2011, 10:33 AM
captmarvin
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car has the 28 row brass tube cooler, no fan. I cleaned the cooler with high pressure washer
before changing the hard oil lines. The original lines had several dents and smashed areas. I thought
new lines would solve the heating problem.

Thanks for the suggestion, Steve, I'll pull the thermostat and check it. The oil cooler and lines do get hot but possibly the flow is reduced by the thermostat not opening fully.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:33 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Hey Capt,

IMHO, thats too hot, considering the conditions.

I would be concerned that the external oil cooler's thermostat isn't opening all the way. These can be removed and tested in hot water to confirm opening temp and position.

I would also take a good look at the front of the cooler to make sure there are no bugs, grass, or general road debris partially blocking the fins on the cooler.
I'd also look under the fan shroud too....rodent nests and such have been found there. Heck, could be a rag left over from a previous repair too. But, Steve suggests the easiest stuff to access for a start.

Quick Reply: 84 carrera running hot