Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 for the freakishly tall?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 12:09 AM
bluetone
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 6'8", 38 inch inseam, 225 lbs. I had an '87 Cab and a 96 C4S. This was years ago (I'm in the market for another 80's 911), but I remember the Porsche Factory conveniently provided additional seat mount locations on the rails, about an inch further back IIRC. The 87 did feel roomier, probably mostly due to the ragtop. I was able to fit in the 993 as well, a little tighter but still was able to work the clutch and steer at the same time (don't laugh, that can be a real problem!)
Old 08-03-2011, 04:49 PM
TX951
Instructor

Originally Posted by rsponholtz
Hi,
I'm a really tall guy (6'8", 36" inseam), and for some strange reason I like small cars. I've been wanting to buy a 911, but I wanted to check with the community on model and seat options. I've sat in a 997 (a 2007 model, I think) and fit ok. Unfortunately I'd probably be looking at an older model due to cost. Do you have a recommendation (model, seat & mount) on the best set up for both legroom and headroom, either for a 996 or an older air-cooled Porsche (my preference)? Any idea how much space I'd gain from a modified setup?

Surely there are lots of NBA players out there driving Porsches - how do they do it? Are there shops that specialize in that kind of thing?

BTW, I currently drive a BMW 3-series sedan and fit fine in it, with the seat all the way down and back.

Any other tall-ies out there who could send me some suggestions?

Thanks,
Ross
I don't think legroom will be an issue for you with any pre-99 Porsche other than the Boxster.

With regard to headroom, I'm 6'2 with a 33-34" inseam and in an 87 sunroof 911 I have enough. Just barely enough with helmet. No seat mods.

Last edited by TX951; 08-03-2011 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-05-2012, 06:54 PM
911SF
Intermediate

I looked at two 993 Turbos's last week, and at 6"5 - i had no chance! My knees and the wheel didn't get on at all....

Should a 80's 911 have more legroom?
Old 12-06-2012, 02:22 AM
kjchristopher
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SF
I looked at two 993 Turbos's last week, and at 6"5 - i had no chance! My knees and the wheel didn't get on at all....

Should a 80's 911 have more legroom?
I'm 6'4" with long legs. The best mod I did was move to a smaller diameter Momo wheel. That solved that issue!
Old 12-09-2012, 07:50 PM
JLJ11
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 6'6" . No headroom issues on any of my cars. Kinda uncomfortable for more than a 4 hour drive but so are most sports cars for me. Heel toe is hard with legroom issues for me on all my 911's.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:31 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rusnak
We had a question like this from a really tall woman, who just joined the board.

I joked that she should take the driver's seat out, and sit in the rear seat. She didn't think that was very funny.
Haha, that's what Hightower did to drive the Honda Civic in Police Academy!
Old 12-10-2012, 01:33 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,022 Likes on 727 Posts

wasnt it a mini ?

edit .. wow i just googled and you were right .. had no idea he had passed away though.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:24 PM
bobaines
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My son is 6'5", 300#+ and he has no problems other than his size 16 shoes. He has a 86 Targa.

I being smaller only 6'3", 300#+ have no issues in my early 911's, my 356 does take some contortions for entry and exit due to seat selection, but once inside is very comfortable and roomy. No issues in my sons 3.2, am moving seat back to alternate mounting hole and lowering in my 964 with sunroof. My size 12 shoes are an issue in a Boxter or Cayman.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:06 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
wasnt it a mini ?

edit .. wow i just googled and you were right .. had no idea he had passed away though.
wow, didn't know either!
Old 06-20-2015, 07:37 PM
Advantage
1st Gear

Default 911 legroom

Check website extendmyseat.com they make 911 seat brackets to add legroom with use of existing holes.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:44 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am 6'4" with above average upper body length and looking for ways to fit a Helmet on me head!

You need to consider 4 elements of fit - height, width, length & reach.

Height - you have 2 parameters to consider top & bottom, for top a no-sunroof or sunroof delete is a must - if you get an older Porsche that needs a window out respray you could reskin with Porsche panel for $3-4k for factory no sunroof look, there is also a couple of other cheaper ways of doing it such as using the original sunroof panel or fitting a plastic sheet. For bottom you could reconfigure the seat spring arrangement for an extra inch (approx.) I think a detailed how-to is on pelican tech library or one of the threads. I have been told by a Porsche mechanic that you can change the seat runners or attachment to set the seat a bit lower.

Width, avoid sport seat as bolsters could limit how deep in the seat you can get.

Length - others have already commented.
Reach - as others have already mentioned you have some play room with different s/wheels and config.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:12 PM
Mechanic
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

For the benefit of those who may stumble upon this thread, two quick thoughts:

First, the thread is four years old. I doubt the OP is still waiting for an answer as to whether he, a 6'8" person, can fit in a 911.

And, second, the Reader's Digest answer is, yes, he can. I know this because I, too, am 6'7" tall/36-inch inseam, and I had to move the driver's seat rearward in two 911s to fit comfortably.

The seat track has a total of three mounting locations: the original location and two additional mounting locations. The seat can easily be moved rearward approximately 1 1/2 inches. The seat can also be mounted lower. (Footnote of sorts: The bolts holding the seat in place are Allen headed.)
Old 06-23-2015, 08:02 PM
Marauder1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mechanic
For the benefit of those who may stumble upon this thread, two quick thoughts:

First, the thread is four years old. I doubt the OP is still waiting for an answer as to whether he, a 6'8" person, can fit in a 911.

And, second, the Reader's Digest answer is, yes, he can. I know this because I, too, am 6'7" tall/36-inch inseam, and I had to move the driver's seat rearward in two 911s to fit comfortably.

The seat track has a total of three mounting locations: the original location and two additional mounting locations. The seat can easily be moved rearward approximately 1 1/2 inches. The seat can also be mounted lower. (Footnote of sorts: The bolts holding the seat in place are Allen headed.)
Which series 911 do you have?

I did just stumble upon this thread actually emailed extendmyseat.com as they do make brackets for my 997 but I'm curious as to how the seat can go back any further as I am already against the rear seat with the back of my drivers seat.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:34 AM
Mechanic
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Marauder1, sorry for the delayed response. I'm not a frequent visitor.

The last Porsche I owned in which I moved the seat was an '88 911 Club Sport, my favorite Porsche, by far, btw. Before that, I owned a '94 964, an RS America. That car was the one in which I discovered the seats could be moved rearward simply by unbolting them and relocating them on the seat tracks. I did the same sort of thing in the '60s, btw, on a '58 Speedster. (Chassis #84190, if anyone has it.) Unlike the later cars, however, I had to fabricate a seat bracket in order to move that seat.

WRT the extendmyseat brackets, I've seen the ads for them on other boards, but I haven't actually seen a set. If, however, the seat in your 997 is now up against the rear-seat bulkhead, I don't think the extendmyseat brackets will, or can, give you any more legroom.

Believe me, I know how frustrating it can be to want to own an automobile you barely fit in.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:57 AM
Dave Inc.
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My issue with my '82 is that my head grazes the roof most of the time, and forget about it when I've got a helment on; either I'm out on the track with the sunroof open or I have to slouch down and move the seat back some more. Either way isn't all that safe and I wish there were a good way to lower the entire seat.

I'm 6' with a 32" inseam, you wouldn't think it'd be so bad but I guess I'm just one of those people that takes seating position very seriously, near vertical back with elbows bent and all that.

Quick Reply: 911 for the freakishly tall?