Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

The new classified sections are lousy

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2001, 07:35 PM
Thom Fitzpatrick
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh! I thought only *members* could see the Member ads! Like some sort of junkyard country club or something.

Now, if you made it so only members could post ads...

Originally posted by John D.:
<STRONG>Are you saying that only Members can even see the Member ads?? </STRONG>
Old 12-20-2001, 07:39 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally posted by Thom Fitzpatrick:
<STRONG>Oh! I thought only *members* could see the Member ads! Like some sort of junkyard country club or something.</STRONG>
No - I'm saving the junkyard country club version for the next iteration of the Classifieds.. LOL!!!

Yes - ANYONE can view the Member Classifieds -promise...

Now, about that auction idea...
Old 12-20-2001, 08:03 PM
Bill H. Sarasota Fl
Banned

Personally I think there should be one Classifieds and that is the one members and sponsors post items to but anyone visiting Rennlist or Thalist may visit and buy from. Taking advantage of Rennlist to sell something should have a price associated with it and being a member is a very small price to pay. IMHO
Old 12-21-2001, 12:16 AM
Cary E
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
John, I'll jump in with my .02c.

Everybody hates change. I run a grocery store, move something 2 feet. It takes 6 months for them to find it.

In order to increase "paid" membership. How about only members can post ads with pictures ?

Reread Bill's post. That would be a good route too. " Membership has its privledges "
Old 12-21-2001, 01:52 AM
J-RAD
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Well, I'll chime in as well. To make a long story fairly short...I agree with the majority here. The new classified structure was a step back in the wrong direction. Honestly, I think the previous format was pretty good from an "end-user" standpoint. It was organized and logical. I've actually listed a couple of items in the classifeds in the past (with success, by the way...thanks!). It worked well. Going back to that format would be my vote (considering a lack of any other attractive formats). Like they say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Well, it didn't appear broke to me.

Oh yeah, one last comment, no offense Thom, but I think the "auction" is a lousy one. Not to mention it would be a nightmare to administer (i.e. more costly). What do most think of eBay? In my view, and I hear this often from others, its thought of a place for a seller to make a killing and a place to avoid if your a wise buyer (due to over-inflated prices). I actually don't mind trying to help out other enthusiasts rather than trying to bleed them dry...but that's just me.

I'm not sure I understand all the issues here. However, as far as raising money for the site, if that's an issue, I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea of an additional charge for a photo ad. However, very serious thought would need to be given to this. A consistant way of handling photo ads would need to be developed, especially considering the fact that you can host pics elsewhere and link to them, which really costs this site nothing from a hosting standpoint. In addition, these forums also allow photos to be posted at no charge as well (which shouldn't be changed IMO). Just something to think about. As for other ideas, I think maybe just one free ad per quarter per member, for example, could be a better option. More frequent ad posters, such as businesses (there are obviously some that post here), would pay a small fee based on their frequency (more ads, more money). Also, are sponsors with ads/banners (such as Porsche related dealerships, parts, etc...) an option? How about selling a "member" calendar, site stickers, baseball hats, or other simple "limited-edition" merchandise (you don't want to get in a position of having to maintain inventory). This could be sold once a quarter or every six months or something so that bulk orders could be placed. Just throwing out some other ideas.
Old 12-21-2001, 02:02 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Okay, first of all, I too, dislike the changes...not a complaint...just an opinion.

Now, Bill H., if you restrict posting ads to members only, you would certainly reduce the number of ads in the classifieds section altogether. A major benifit of letting EVERYBODY list is the plethura of parts that show up on the classifieds.

As I am a member of Rennlist, this would upset the hell out of me. I use the classifieds as a bonified parts resource, heck, half my car was bought off those classifieds! The old classifieds were truly a one-stop shop for just about anything I needed, aftermarket, factory and fabricated.

It was after using Rennlist on several occasions, and for about a year, that I realized how much I benifitted from the site...so I took it upon myself to become a member.

It's not that the "new" classifieds aren't user friendly, it's just too cumbersome to browse through the ads now.

Personally, I would like to see the classifieds scrutinized a bit more, like repeat ads for Sony Amplifiers and Subwoofers...give me a F$&%^#@* break! That guy repeatedly comes on and relists his ads, sometimes daily! ...maybe he should use that auction site?? Ads that suggest hopping over to that auction site don't bother me nearly as much as those do.

There's got to be some way to stop that without taking up too much of JD and BG's time...otherwise, I understand, and will ignore those pesky ads.

Ah, there's my segway to the auctioning idea...unbelievable that someone would suggest that. I will be careful not to slander that "other" site that offers auctions galore by just saying, "let's not be like them".

My suggestion (and 2cents worth): Put the classifieds back how they were, they were easier to navigate, not as "mixed together" and didn't alienate non-members...they already know who they are, don't de-segregate them - they'll join when they feel ready...or we'll beat them about the face and neck repeatedly!

Forcing the frequent advertisers (whether they're parts collectors/resellers or just a DIY guy like me that sells factory parts to gain $$$$ for aftermarket investments) to join via a "new" classifieds section is the wrong way to go.

***Okay, enough "complaining" as it was referred to as, in an earlier thread...

...COMPLIMENT: I like how in the 911/912/914 section, one could choose whether it is a 911/912/964/993/914 part, and it would appear to the far left of the ad summary...that feature is nice. If you do go back to the old classifieds forum, is there a way to implement that feature?
Old 12-21-2001, 02:26 AM
Geckodad
8th Gear

Is it just me or have the non user classifieds been down for about a week now.

Craig

Quick Reply: The new classified sections are lousy