Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

What is a Euro spec?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2001, 04:39 AM
Nick Moss
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post What is a Euro spec?

Just wondering what you guys over the pond describe when identifying a US car as Euro model or spec?
Old 12-20-2001, 01:39 PM
Steve Zitelli
Instructor

It really depends upon the year.For example my 76 euro 911 has the same engine specs as the american version.The only difference is the lack of luxury apointments,non leather,no a/c
etc.It's one of the reasons I like it.It's more like a "true" sportscar.You should pick-up Bruce Andersons Performance Book.It really has a good info on different years & specs U.S.and Euro.
Old 12-20-2001, 02:40 PM
Nick Moss
Track Day

So how can a US spec car, with smog kit etc. be a Euro model? Either it's a US or a Euro, surely can't be both!
Old 12-20-2001, 04:19 PM
Steve Zitelli
Instructor

I believe in the later cars they were the same.Europe were getting concerned about polution so the cars had the same emission
standards.So the euro and american were the same from the factory,but I'm not 100% sure about.What year are you talking about?
Old 12-20-2001, 06:54 PM
Nick Moss
Track Day

I am not referring to any one particular model, just the terminology used over there in the US.
Old 12-21-2001, 12:14 AM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

All cars with a vin that starts WPOZZZ are rest of world spec cars. My 911 SC happens to be one of those, it has small differences. A few include: higher compression (gas in europe is 98 RON), thinner rear bumpers to allow for wider euro plate, side-marker blinkers, owners manual in german, and some other stuff I'd rather not mention.

later,

amir
Old 12-21-2001, 01:07 AM
J-RAD
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
"Euro spec" can mean a couple different things depending on the context it is used.

The "rest-of-world" (ROW) cars are different than North American (NA) models. Much of this is due to different government regulations, such as emissions, etc. ROW cars are also often referred to as Euro spec cars. The differences between the two versions depends upon the model, some are greater than others. ROW and NA versions can be identifed using the VIN (although, as ZAMIRZ pointed out, there may be visual cues as well). All ROW cars have VINs that begin WPOZZZ. The NA VIN #s begin with WPO followed by various combinations based on model: such as WPOABO for a Carrera coupe. A number of ROW cars have been imported into NA, and more specifically the U.S. Like I said earlier, these cars are often referred to Euro spec or grey-market cars.

However, Euro spec can also be used to refer to those model specific differences between ROW cars and NA cars. A common example is the ride of the 911SC. Some NA models had a higher ride height in order to comply with U.S. bumper regulations. The Euro models had a lower ride height better suited for optimum handling for the car.

Oh yeah, on a side note, Euro spec cars are more desirable to true Porschephiles because they are much truer to the vision of Porsche! (well, maybe thats not entirely true but I had to throw that in anyway!!! )
Old 12-21-2001, 04:16 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Nick,
Euro Spec is a slang term used in the USA to refer to non USA Version imports. There is no such thing as a "Euro Spec". There are 2 production lines, ROW and USA. Almost every nation in the world has their own government regulations and this changes things from country to country. What is road legal in Germany may not be legal elsewhere and vice versa.
A ROW Porsche imported into the USA and converted to USA requirements is what?. A USA version conversion?. Also known in the USA and UK as Grey Market Porsches.
Anyway it has been something that grew up in the USA and has become folk lore.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

PS: It is generally thought that all ROW versions have the same ride height and the USA models are higher. This is not entirely accurate either. It can get really complicated.
Old 12-21-2001, 10:51 AM
DohcV8
Track Day

Years ago, when I was in school, I worked at a lab on campus that did EPA emissions certifications for gray market cars. Most of those conversions were ugly. After being in the "business", I wouldn't touch one of those cars unless it was a track car.

Don't get me wrong, the cars were desireable, but the conversions were trash. They were mostly done by fast buck operators.

I remeber the Mardikian brothers in Southern Cal did all kinds of exotic car conversions. The magazines used to test them. They lied and falsified test data. I beleive that they went to jail.

These guys I saw doing the conversions were not engineers. They didn't have a budget for R&D. They didn't understand the fine points of emissions controls. Mostly they kluged a car up with iron pipe from a plumbing supply to the point where they were barely driveable for the test. The mixtures were oftern so rich that the catalyst's would glow red hot and they had to take the carpet out to keep it from catching fire during the test. Since no one would buy a car like that, after the test was completed, I'm sure that the car had to be re-adjusted so that it would drive.

After the readjustment, it would not pass any emissions test. Those tests are becoming a fact of life for many of us for our annual licensing.

The cars were often very low equipment models, which is fine. I've bought cars like that, but they are not comparably equiped to the standards of the US model. People trying to get into a big Mercedes a Porsche or Ferrari cheap.

Big S class Mercedes with cloth not leather seats, plastic hub caps & steel wheels instead of alloys, no power windows, no cruise control, no automatic temp control, no power mirrors. You get my drift.

We also cerified them for DOT safety compliance. Speedos recalibrated to MPH, 5 mph bumpers, US headlights, side marker lights reflectors, seat belt interlocks, window glass, control labels etc.

Many lied about the bumpers, did shoddy jobs of installing the required lighting systems and in general just bodged up the jobs.

Even the good ones usually took 2 or three tries to just barely pass the emmissions cycle. They we very poorly done.

Now, 20 years later, I can't imagine passing even a local emissions test, or knowing what replacement parts to buy or any of a myriad of other difficulties.

A properly done car could be a thing of joy forever, but with my finite resources, I'm not a gambler enough to take that chance.

One possible exception. There used to be a one time good deal personal exemption from the EPA emissions requirements, though state requirements might still get you come annual inspection time. You could personally import one car in your lifetime, but you still had to do all the DOT stuff to the car.

Regards,

Jerry Kroeger
82 911SC Targa

Quick Reply: What is a Euro spec?