Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'89 Carerra 3.2 stalls when engine oil cap is removed

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 02:48 AM
fixie guy
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '89 Carerra 3.2 stalls when engine oil cap is removed

I just bought a Carerra 3.2 and tried doing my first engine oil top up. As this is an air cooled (dry sump), my understanding is that you will need to first run the engine till it is warm and upon coming to a stop, whist engine is idiling, remove the engine oil cap and check the oil level using the dip stick. Unfortunately, upon removing the engine oil cap (located right side of the rear engine bay), the car starts to "rattle" and eventually stalls. Has any one with similar experience, cause and the remedy?
Old 07-21-2011, 03:21 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a hose right under the oil tank cap. This hose has a brass cone inside it that restricts airflow to the engine when the cap is removed. Yours might be missing. You might check it.

Your engine may also have a number of vacuum (false air) leaks, which is common. The additional vacuum leak introduced by removing the oil tank cap is obviously putting the mixture outside the engone management system's ability to adjust.

Another possibility is that the O2 sensor is bad, or missing, or has a broken wire. But I haven't seen that result in a lean mixture, usually rich.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:22 AM
BlackSpyder
Instructor

My 88 does the same thing....I need to check for the brass cone that rusnak points to. Does anyone have a part # for it? Can it be purchased at Pelican?

Mike
Old 07-21-2011, 11:33 AM
1986 Targa
Instructor

Location: Manhattan Beach, California. Retired Engineer 1986 Targa-Factory Delivery Original Owner

Originally Posted by fixie guy
I just bought a Carerra 3.2 and tried doing my first engine oil top up. As this is an air cooled (dry sump), my understanding is that you will need to first run the engine till it is warm and upon coming to a stop, whist engine is idiling, remove the engine oil cap and check the oil level using the dip stick. Unfortunately, upon removing the engine oil cap (located right side of the rear engine bay), the car starts to "rattle" and eventually stalls. Has any one with similar experience, cause and the remedy?
This may be your issue.

There is a "check" valve, also know as a PCV valve next to the oil fill tube.

The purpose of the valve is to maintain vaccum during oil level checks and, top-offs.

Try replacing this component.

Good luck,

Gerry
Attached Images    

Last edited by 1986 Targa; 07-21-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:18 PM
BlackSpyder
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1986 Targa
This may be your issue.

There is a "check" valve, also know as a PCV valve next to the oil fill tube.

The purpose of the valve is to maintain vaccum during oil level checks and,
top-offs.

Try replacing this component.
Very helpful......Thank you
Old 07-21-2011, 06:32 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes,..,..well done!

I swear I remember that piece to be elsewhere....My Wrench did get that piece showed in Pic #1 changed out due to rubber cracking,..I had a helluva time finding that piece and gave up,..let him handle it long time ago).

I remember changing out many of the hoses within the car when I first got her. Luckily my son-in-law Toyota Master Tech was there during my work session,.....as I grabbed the (another) new hose to install it, he picked up the old hose to inspect the rubber's cracking, etc. and noticed this device within a hose...glad he caught it, as I learned quickly why it was there...no harm done.....I just don't remember it being where the pics ACTUALLY show!!!! Geeze,..I'm getting old, I guess.

Good stuff Rusnak...

BEST!

Doyle
Old 07-21-2011, 07:19 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

good thread.... good to know.

Quick Reply: '89 Carerra 3.2 stalls when engine oil cap is removed