Removal of surface rust ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 10:24 AM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Removal of surface rust ?

Hi,

Can anyone suggest a good method to remove surface rust from the paint ? The paint on my car is very thin, so I don't want to polish as I know it will also remove the paint. I like to keep my cars in original shape, so I would prefer to avoid a repaint.

It is a light rust issue, nothing major. But I have to remove it.
Would oil on a cloth do it ?
Old 07-17-2011, 05:32 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Take the spot to bare metal and treat it. I can understand you not wanting to open a can of worms but don't leave this untreated. Put some touch up paint on afterwards.

Can you post a pic of it?
Old 07-17-2011, 06:27 PM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I once polished an area with very little paint left. A before/after picture showed the difference. By polishing too much of the paint was gone as a result - or well, too much in MY opinion at least.

I would avoid any repaint or touch up (in the first place) as this car is meant to be left in original state with patina.

I want to make it clear, that this is not a serious rust issue. Just small spots around the car where the surface is lightly marked by rust caused by the weather and humidity over the past 1½ months. Car is now stored properly elsewhere, but will try to make some pictures next time I get over.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:13 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Don't kid yourself. You are only seeing the tip of the iceberg. If the rust has worked it's way thru the paint, what do you think the metal underneath looks like? Paint does not rust on its own. Your description that this is all over the car adds more suspicion, in my mind.

Quick Reply: Removal of surface rust ?