Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'78-'83 SC or '84-'89?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 10:16 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rusnak
He sure ain't talkin about traffic in the winter. My guess is the guy just doesn't like manual shift cars, and needs an automatic.
My guess as well... The Carrera clutch is much heavier than newer manuals, and they get especially heavy before they go...

I think the clutch is part of the experience with earlier 911s. One must commit to the car for it to perform to its fullest!
Old 07-20-2011, 10:52 PM
Caferacer
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been surprised at how steady my 3.2 runs in 95 degree stop and go. This was always a concern in water cooled cars and thought it would be moreso with the 911 but the opposite has been true. So the car doesn't seem to mind "sitting in traffic." Sometimes the driver gets a little overheated though.

I could have bought a "comfort" car but that wasn't the point here. I kind of enjoy the stares of the softies in their air conditioned rolling entertainment systems sucking on Frappucinos as they sit next to this nut job with the windows open inching along in first gear. This is a man's car.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:44 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Caferacer
I've been surprised at how steady my 3.2 runs in 95 degree stop and go. This was always a concern in water cooled cars and thought it would be moreso with the 911 but the opposite has been true. So the car doesn't seem to mind "sitting in traffic." Sometimes the driver gets a little overheated though.

I could have bought a "comfort" car but that wasn't the point here. I kind of enjoy the stares of the softies in their air conditioned rolling entertainment systems sucking on Frappucinos as they sit next to this nut job with the windows open inching along in first gear. This is a man's car.
That. Is. Awesome!!

You know, we are bad hombres!!!
Old 07-21-2011, 04:08 AM
tawheed
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ha, good to know guys. Maybe it is the fact that it's a manual.. Step one of three to get a 911 is complete, wasn't getting many bites on the Boxster so traded it for an '05 Audi S4, hopefully that sells a bit quicker and then I can start 911 hunting..

The more I read though the more I'm thinking I shouldn't limit myself to 87-89 3.2Ls, lots of good things being said about the 78-83 and 84-86 cars as well, and they're all so damn pretty. There's a lot of these cars out there and I want to take my time and find the right one regardless of year.. Hell I'm even tempted to go and look at something like http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...AdIdZ299284825 this and turn it into a bit of a project.

Quick Reply: '78-'83 SC or '84-'89?