Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'78-'83 SC or '84-'89?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 07:42 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 55 Posts

The 911 is such a more rewarding and inspiring drive than a Boxster. A well setup 911 Carrera can have a better power/weight ratio than an earlier Box. I rented a spec Box race car for a couple of days for one of our Pat Long clinics at MSR. It certainly was fun, but after 3 sessions, I was longing for my Targa.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:39 PM
tawheed
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by racer
Beyond the mechanical issues...

the Boxster S is a VERY different car to drive than the 911. Having moved from a 911SC to a Boxster (and then to others).. the 911 is very visceral. You should feel everything that the car feels. On the otherhand, the shifter will be vague and slow (vs the boxster). The brakes not as powerful. The engine TQ not as strong. The hp not as strong.. the weight, if stock, could be as little as 200lb difference.

A 911 will have hot heat (although it can "smell" a bit).. it will NOT have a modern, effective AC unit.

Perhaps these are the very reasons why you want a 911 and not a boxster.. but be realistic about how much "comfort" you are willing to trade off, for less performance
These are the exact reasons I want a 911, not a newer 911 mind you, but one from the past with some character. As for comfort, I'll only be driving it during our short spring / summer months.

As for the Boxster, it is truly a great car... I've owned about 30 vehicles and it is definitely one of the best I've owned vs cars like Evo 8, STi, S2000 (both AP1 / AP2) When it comes to sheer balance, it's definitely on another level.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:58 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are looking for an occasional use 911, I'd suggest expanding your range into the '70's as well. One of the most fun and rewarding 911's I've ever driven was a "lowly" 1977 2.7 liter car with a freshly rebuilt motor, transmission and suspension. Wow, that was fun. It's all about how well the car has been maintained and set up verses the year since the 911 changed very little during the impact bumper years.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:38 PM
Andy Kay
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^+1!!
I have more fun in my '79 SC than I should! I will never be w/o one again!
Old 07-19-2011, 02:09 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the Cayman, but the Boxster just looks like it was designed for a woman.

I'll probably skip the entire platform, and if I buy a water cooled Porsche, it'll be something really hairy, really out there.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:45 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by rusnak

I'll probably skip the entire platform, and if I buy a water cooled Porsche, it'll be something really hairy, really out there.
lol, I agree, it's a chick car for sure! Keep the focus on a 911, regardless of the SC or 3.2, you will love it for sure!
Old 07-19-2011, 11:42 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I used to think the same way. The Boxster is not a real Porsche, just an entry level item used to boost the bottom line. It has to be soul less junk. If it's not a 911 and air cooled, it's not a Porsche.

Fast forward a few years.

One early fall Sunday afternoon I sat in a used base Boxster. Hmmm... Smells like a Porsche. Looks kinda cool. Seems well built. This thing has low miles and isn't all that expensive.

Came back the next day to test drive it.

A few days later I test drove another.

A week later I took another one home to look at it and drive it around with the top down for the evening. Played with all the buttons. Wound out the M96 motor a bunch of times, threw it around corners and tried to get it unglued on the back roads.

Test drove the first one again and that dang thing followed me home and parked itself in my garage. Ran it hard for a year, then had the audacity to buy a brand new "woman's Porsche". I'm a died in the wool air cooled 911 guy, but here I am driving girl's cars and lovin' every second of them.

Don't dismiss the water cooled cars until you've sat in the seat and worked the gritty M96 motor right behind your head hard on the back roads. Don't just take it for a 12 minute test drive. Put a few hours in the seat. Drop the top on a warm night and listen to the motor as you run it up the gears. The steering is telepathic. Power delivery is right there. Brakes are "old school pedal down a few inches then brick wall" feel. Even on the base cars. You may find yourself eating your words and putting a water cooled car in the garage beside the old air cooled perfection. The Boxster is 100% Porsche. Maybe even more connected than their 911 counterparts...

The early air cooled cars are special and irreplaceable. But, Porsche is still building really good cars considering the typical new car buyer of today.

Best,

Jay
84 911
90 964
08 987

(P.S., those Boxster Spyder and Cayman R models have to be a complete hoot to drive!)

(P.S.S. - Don't tell my other cars, but I secretly lust after Sargepug's A91 equipped C2S.)
Old 07-19-2011, 11:55 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 55 Posts

The Box is a fun drive, but not as rewarding as a rear-engined car with no nanny BS-meaning up to 993. I rented a Spec Box race car for a couple of days on the track, and after the novelty wore off-I missed Ruby. Although, by class, those are based on early standard issue cars. But, I figured some of that lower HP was offset by lighter weight of the race car.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:11 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I've got an original air cooled 914-6, and that thing is like a WWII airplane.

It's got unbelievable handling, it's very very light, and it has the stuff that I like. I doubt I'd ever own a Boxster.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:06 AM
tawheed
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not gonna get into the Boxster debate.

Went and saw an '88 Targa tonight and it looked amazing! The owner was telling me he doesn't like to commute in it as it doesn't like sitting in traffic - is this something to be concerned about in general with the older air cooled cars?
Old 07-20-2011, 02:59 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tawheed
The owner was telling me he doesn't like to commute in it as it doesn't like sitting in traffic - is this something to be concerned about in general with the older air cooled cars?
No, not in general. Did the owner say it overheats or what? What does that mean? If it's overheating, something isn't working right, or it's really hot where he drives, and the car could use a little more supplemental oil cooling. Not rocket science. Just need to have good oil flow to and through the oil cooling radiator and good air flow over the radiator. Carrera models have a fan to supplement air flow when the car isn't moving. In short, it's addressable. It's not a design flaw. It's likely an owner maintenance flaw if it's overheating.

I have enjoyed my 911 in traffic. Because when I look around, most everyone else is driving an appliance and hating it, whereas I'm driving a cool car and loving it. LOL

Brett
Old 07-20-2011, 03:19 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Edmonton is very far North. It shouldn't be that warm there. The last time I was there, traffic wasn't too bad, either. Not by California standards, anyway.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:06 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Edmonton is very far North. It shouldn't be that warm there. The last time I was there, traffic wasn't too bad, either. Not by California standards, anyway.
Good point. Which begs the question further, just what does it mean to say a car doesn't like sitting in traffic? If it's overheating in Edmonton summers, then there's really an owner maintenance issue.

Brett
Old 07-20-2011, 07:36 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

I drove my Targa in some Cross Bronx and LIE traffic during this heat wave and also some aggressive driving out on the East End. People not familiar w/ NYC traffic, can equate the CB and LIE to Interstate 5 and others in LA. Notorious "parking lots". No overheating at all, oil temp would rise time to time, but engine temp was always solid.

Last edited by SARGEPUG; 07-20-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:41 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brett San Diego
Good point. Which begs the question further, just what does it mean to say a car doesn't like sitting in traffic? If it's overheating in Edmonton summers, then there's really an owner maintenance issue.

Brett
He sure ain't talkin about traffic in the winter. My guess is the guy just doesn't like manual shift cars, and needs an automatic.

Quick Reply: '78-'83 SC or '84-'89?