Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

All matter of questions regarding 85/86 3.2.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 10:30 PM
Caferacer
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must admit I was a bit underwhelmed by my '88's performance when I got it. Ironically, this was because my previous sports cars were Triumphs. Not because they were better performers but because their engines were derived from tractors and their suspensions from carriages. I was simply not driving my car hard enough. These cars want to be pushed, for this is when they sing. For the last month my little Dunkelblau Devil has been my only car and it has served well in NYC rush hour traffic (I admit, wearing a suit with barely any a/c can be bracing), country lanes and triple digit speeds on the Interstate. It is a car that can do it all. Having said that, if I could have afforded a well sorted 993 I would have gotten one. I still may, some day, but this car is a keeper. It is not a caramel machiatto, it is pure espresso. I also applaud your candidness and willingness to discuss this stuff with strangers. We want you to make an informed decision.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:37 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Well, I took the 993 to a meeting in OC this afternoon. I must say she did well in stop and go traffic, and the a/c worked well.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:57 PM
Caferacer
Pro

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Well, I took the 993 to a meeting in OC this afternoon. I must say she did well in stop and go traffic, and the a/c worked well.
Show off.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:13 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Caferacer
Show off.
Well, I must say she also stumbled a couple of times on the way home....I've got a new fuel filter and DME relay ready to go in this weekend, along with my first "two filter/Mobil 1" oil change. I'm going to buy some MAF cleaner and a new O2 sensor, as both have also been ID'd as culprits on the intermittent stumble. This was my "shakedown" drive of a couple of hundred miles in preparation for a jaunt up to Monterey Car Week in 2 weeks, so fate was kind to me to have it occur now
Old 08-03-2011, 11:28 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Sam101... you should test drive a 996, you might like it. Dont be afraid of the MY99. If you educate yourself about the m96 engine they are very strong and reliable. Their reputation are tarnished and it is what it is.... but, they are considered the new 944's on the track and need to be driven on the edge to show driver flaws. There are a lot of happy 996 owners out there....
Old 08-03-2011, 11:35 PM
Saml01
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I must admit I was a bit underwhelmed by my '88's performance when I got it. Ironically, this was because my previous sports cars were Triumphs. Not because they were better performers but because their engines were derived from tractors and their suspensions from carriages. I was simply not driving my car hard enough. These cars want to be pushed, for this is when they sing. For the last month my little Dunkelblau Devil has been my only car and it has served well in NYC rush hour traffic (I admit, wearing a suit with barely any a/c can be bracing), country lanes and triple digit speeds on the Interstate. It is a car that can do it all. Having said that, if I could have afforded a well sorted 993 I would have gotten one. I still may, some day, but this car is a keeper. It is not a caramel machiatto, it is pure espresso. I also applaud your candidness and willingness to discuss this stuff with strangers. We want you to make an informed decision.
Brooklyn, NY huh, do I smell a mini meet?

Originally Posted by redridge
Sam101... you should test drive a 996, you might like it. Dont be afraid of the MY99. If you educate yourself about the m96 engine they are very strong and reliable. Their reputation are tarnished and it is what it is.... but, they are considered the new 944's on the track and need to be driven on the edge to show driver flaws. There are a lot of happy 996 owners out there....
Just read the chapter on the 996 in "The Used 911 Story". The guy really digs into it, namely the block casting problems; not exactly an easy fix or something that can be prevented.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:02 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Porsche surely didn't go "backwards" with the use of the G50,..if anything, a certain improvement on the 915.......I like improvements.

BEST!

Doyle
Old 08-04-2011, 12:25 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Saml01
Brooklyn, NY huh, do I smell a mini meet?

Just read the chapter on the 996 in "The Used 911 Story". The guy really digs into it, namely the block casting problems; not exactly an easy fix or something that can be prevented.
its true about the block... those were the 98 models that was mostly in EU. These cars are 11+ years old, most that exists today have been shaken out, pourus blocks are very rare today. More hype that has tarnished the 996. The true story of the 996 are just coming around within the last year.... overall, the 996 has proven to be reliable cars. Go ask the spec 996 guys...
Old 08-04-2011, 12:34 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dshepp806
Porsche surely didn't go "backwards" with the use of the G50,..if anything, a certain improvement on the 915.......I like improvements.

BEST!

Doyle
There is nothing wrong with a 915 that is set up correctly. With your logic, why would anyone want to own a '73 RS or a '70 S, or a 904 or any "older" P-car? Why would anyone want to have a motor requiring valve adjustments, when the 993 improved on this with self adjusting cam followers? A 5 speed is such a limitation on using engine power, where a 6 speed is so much more efficient. Or, jump to a 7 spd DSG to really get with it. So many "improvements" over the years....
Old 08-04-2011, 09:37 AM
Caferacer
Pro

Sam, there is indeed a "mini meet" this Friday night in DUMBO that has been organized on the Pelican list. Corner of Adams and Water St. at 7:30.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:18 PM
Saml01
Intermediate

Originally Posted by redridge
its true about the block... those were the 98 models that was mostly in EU. These cars are 11+ years old, most that exists today have been shaken out, pourus blocks are very rare today. More hype that has tarnished the 996. The true story of the 996 are just coming around within the last year.... overall, the 996 has proven to be reliable cars. Go ask the spec 996 guys...
Oh wow, way to blow things out of proportion. Next youre going to tell me there is a VIN database of all cars affected by the bad blocks.

Sam, there is indeed a "mini meet" this Friday night in DUMBO that has been organized on the Pelican list. Corner of Adams and Water St. at 7:30.
Hmm. Let me see what time I get home tomorrow. If you see a green miata there with an f'd up driverside fender, that be me.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:39 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Well, the problems were bad enough that Porsche had a large number of remanufactured engines being sent to dealers for quite a period to support the "fix". It IS enough of a problem that anyone buying an old 996 better spend the time to see if the RMS/IMS bits have been retro'd. A friend of mine with a shop in SD County, mostly focused on the other 3 German brands, has 4 996's in his shop for rebuilds at about $18K per. Two have holed pistons, and two had IMS failures. $10K reman engines from Porsche are history.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:50 PM
Saml01
Intermediate

I just searched IMS and RMS. LN Engineering has pics and instructions that portray this as a very serious and complicated issue.

How rampant were these problems?
Old 08-05-2011, 01:52 AM
86NOH20
5th Gear

I noticed in the original post you're noting a 8-10K premium for
G-50 cars? On which planet is that happening? Each year from 84' on (similar condition and miles) is roughly $500 to 1K more. If you are looking at an 84' and an 89' you'll see a big difference. If you look at an 86' and an 87' not very big at all.

I like all of them, and the SC's too! I have an 86'. It has the updated dash vents, lowerd seats, short shift which are all factory. If you want a bit more power, just chip the car. I'd focus more on condition and service records than year built. There are a lot of crappers out there!
Old 08-05-2011, 10:16 AM
AJ88CAB
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Saml01
I was thinking of a way that doesnt require jacking the car up. Maybe looking for a code or a specific part. On the miata for example all LSD diffs have cooling fins. Open diffs do not.
Open the front hood and there should be a sticker on the underside with a list of codes. If one of the codes is "220" it has a LSD. There should be a similar sticker in the owners manual if it is still with the car.

FYI - Click on the "General" tab at left for an options decoder.

Quick Reply: All matter of questions regarding 85/86 3.2.