Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

All matter of questions regarding 85/86 3.2.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 07:52 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You'll see a lot of neglected 911s. You'll also learn a lot just by taking the time and effort to go out and look at them first hand. Be patient. Eventually one will just speak to you.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:31 PM
Saml01
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had to cool the search for a little, life got a little busy.

Someone mentioned that chasing an 87/88 911 was like looking for unicorns or something so obviously they command the premium. But what is considered a reasonable price range when looking at the 85/86 and 87/88 cars?
Old 07-14-2011, 08:45 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

It is 84-86 and 87-89, to be specific. Truthfully, I'd not put much more than a $1000 bonus on the later years, if that. It needs to be said again: the condition of the car takes precedent over the year. A well sorted '84 (or '78 for that matter) is a better value than a so-so '89.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:32 AM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another way to tell if a car has LSD is to lift the whole rear and with the car in gear, turn one of the drive wheels. If the other wheel turns in the same direction then you have LSD; if it turns in the opposite direction you don't, or the LSD is worn out.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:08 PM
Saml01
Intermediate

I was thinking of a way that doesnt require jacking the car up. Maybe looking for a code or a specific part. On the miata for example all LSD diffs have cooling fins. Open diffs do not.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:38 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO, '82- 911SCs are on par power wise with 3.2 Carreras, and they're a bit lighter. Earlier SCs had lower compression, bad fuel mileage, and the air pump, no O2 sensor, etc. The drawback is that the computer controlled engine management systems are light years ahead of the vacuum and pressure controlled cis systems. The issue is how many lbs of other stuff is right for you?

I love the torque and light weight of the 3.2 Carreras, and go cart flickability in low speed turns. The best Porsche has made for the street.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:36 PM
Saml01
Intermediate

It has to have EFI. Primary reason is that if I ever decide to pull it and install a megasquirt it will be incredibly easy.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:26 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Saml01

Is the spare tire solid rubber? Its the weirdest spare I have ever seen.
The spare is collapsable. It pops out when inflated using the air compressor that originally came with the car.

Sorry to hear the first car you saw was in such bad shape.
Keep looking, and get a PPI.
I found a car that I felt was unique and it was "the one", and I made the mistake of not getting a PPI because I was in a rush and didn't want to lose the car.
Emotion and lack of patience cost me, Hahaha.
Although I don't regret it at all. I have the car I really wanted as opposed to one I wasn't quite happy with.

Good luck in your search.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:10 PM
Saml01
Intermediate

Neat idea for the spare. I would love to see one in action. Someone go make a youtube.

Otherwise.......... I have decided to end the search for a late 80's 911. I have looked at a few more and I have come to three conclusions. People want funny money for them, the ones that are reasonably priced all have problems, and they aren't very comfortable. The comfort thing I can understand, they were designed to be visceral and soulful but I cant do that anymore. So I decided I am going to start looking at the 95 - 99 cars, they can be had for basically the same money and sometimes less.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:25 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Neat idea for the spare. I would love to see one in action. Someone go make a youtube.

Otherwise.......... I have decided to end the search for a late 80's 911. I have looked at a few more and I have come to three conclusions. People want funny money for them, the ones that are reasonably priced all have problems, and they aren't very comfortable. So I decided I am going to start looking at the 95 - 99 cars, they can be had for basically the same money and sometimes less.
1. There is a reason nice 3.2's go for decent prices. Define reasonably priced.
2. If you are thinking you'll find a nice 993 in the low 20's that doesn't need work, good luck to you.
3. If you're looking at '99s, you're into water-cooled cars, and that year is very low priced for a reason.
4. You won't find much difference in comfort in the 993 series. Power steering, and decent A/C.

It actually sounds like you need a 996 or 997. You don't seem to be cut out for a 911-964-993.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:00 AM
Saml01
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
1. There is a reason nice 3.2's go for decent prices. Define reasonably priced.
2. If you are thinking you'll find a nice 993 in the low 20's that doesn't need work, good luck to you.
3. If you're looking at '99s, you're into water-cooled cars, and that year is very low priced for a reason.
4. You won't find much difference in comfort in the 993 series. Power steering, and decent A/C.

It actually sounds like you need a 996 or 997. You don't seem to be cut out for a 911-964-993.
1. Reasonably priced IMHO is no more than 15 for a well sorted example. Instead nice ones go for well over 20. I understand people view them as collectible cars, but I don't see it.

2. http://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/ctd/2524550559.html
Whats wrong with this? Besides the front seats being from a different car.

3. I havent done much reading yet, but please share the wealth.

4. Some AC is better than no AC. Power steering I can do with or without but id like to have it. Besides that, the interior appointments are much nicer.

Oh I agree with you. I am over the "raw" sport cars. I want a sporty car with some refinement. I want to drive it work and on the weekends and feel like a person when I get to my destination, not a piece of meat.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:54 AM
ofishbein
Advanced

1. Reasonably priced IMHO is no more than 15 for a well sorted example. Instead nice ones go for well over 20. I understand people view them as collectible cars, but I don't see it.

4. Some AC is better than no AC. Power steering I can do with or without but id like to have it. Besides that, the interior appointments are much nicer.

Oh I agree with you. I am over the "raw" sport cars. I want a sporty car with some refinement. I want to drive it work and on the weekends and feel like a person when I get to my destination, not a piece of meat.
OK - I'll chime in:

1. No offense, but it doesn't matter if you see it or not, it's market driven. I don't see the value in a Picasso painting, but people still pay big bucks for them.

2. That car is a 996 series - an entirely different beast. Water-cooled and with some known, potentially fatal, engine problems. This is especially true of the early ones. Even if the engine problems are blown out of proportion, it's still in the back of your mind.

3. See #2, above.

Sounds like you want a more modern car - maybe a BMW? They seem to be a good compromise between sporty and comfort.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:21 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

You need to do some reading on early 996's. The '99 is as early as you can get in that series. They are not all bad, but there are some known issues that can make that example's low price evaporate in a hurry. There are fixes for the issues, but they aren't free. Use the terms RMS and IMS in your search. You need to do the reading.

Again, there is a reason the 80's Carreras and some SC's are worth more today than some of the later cars. Totally different cars and experiences. I've got an '84 and a '95: trust me, with the exception of the airbag in the wheel, and the center console, the interior appointments are too different.

Again, it sounds like you need a 996-it will fit your bill. You just need to be educated about what you're buying, and rely on some experts to help you along.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:18 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 92 Posts

Yeah, that car that you linked to is an early 996. As mentioned, the early 996s particularly had some issues. Yeah, they are probably inflated by the internet, but definitely some cars will have the issues.

No way will you find a similar condition 993 for the price of a good 3.2 Carrera. Generally speaking, you may find a so-so 993 for the price of a really nice Carrera. There are always strange outliers, but that is how it pretty much is: 993s are more valuable than Carreras on a conditition-adjusted basis.

If you want a nice Porsche with decent amenities for a not-bad price, have you considered a later-year Boxster? I know not everyone will agree here, but I think they are great cars (again, avoid the earliest). The main thing is to get out and look at and drive a variety of these cars and choose what really fits you (in combination with research and a good PPI.

You were very candid to admit that the earlier 911 is not what you want after sampling them - that shows that you know what you like.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:52 PM
Saml01
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ofishbein
OK - I'll chime in:

1. No offense, but it doesn't matter if you see it or not, it's market driven. I don't see the value in a Picasso painting, but people still pay big bucks for them.

2. That car is a 996 series - an entirely different beast. Water-cooled and with some known, potentially fatal, engine problems. This is especially true of the early ones. Even if the engine problems are blown out of proportion, it's still in the back of your mind.

3. See #2, above.

Sounds like you want a more modern car - maybe a BMW? They seem to be a good compromise between sporty and comfort.
1. Agreed. I understand its market driven and I also understand its a personal thing. I just think its maybe a weeeee bit inflated from the hype. You cant deny that, especially the G50 cars.

2. That's pretty funny considering that seems to be the norm with most first runs of a new generation.

BMW's are nice but id probably go for an Audi first. I like the community more plus quattro.

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
You need to do some reading on early 996's. The '99 is as early as you can get in that series. They are not all bad, but there are some known issues that can make that example's low price evaporate in a hurry. There are fixes for the issues, but they aren't free. Use the terms RMS and IMS in your search. You need to do the reading.

Again, there is a reason the 80's Carreras and some SC's are worth more today than some of the later cars. Totally different cars and experiences. I've got an '84 and a '95: trust me, with the exception of the airbag in the wheel, and the center console, the interior appointments are too different.

Again, it sounds like you need a 996-it will fit your bill. You just need to be educated about what you're buying, and rely on some experts to help you along.
Thanks man. I appreciate your level headed-ness, I was expecting someone to get up in arms and tell me to FO.

I understand why the late 80's 911 and the mid 90's 933's command the prices they do. But I just cant justify it, if I was a collector or maybe had owned a new porsche and wanted a classic, I can justify it, but for a first timer I think its an expensive point of entry.

I'm gonna do all the reading I can and ask a lot of questions here, and who knows maybe one day ill pick up an 88 or something.

Originally Posted by 500_19B
Yeah, that car that you linked to is an early 996. As mentioned, the early 996s particularly had some issues. Yeah, they are probably inflated by the internet, but definitely some cars will have the issues.

No way will you find a similar condition 993 for the price of a good 3.2 Carrera. Generally speaking, you may find a so-so 993 for the price of a really nice Carrera. There are always strange outliers, but that is how it pretty much is: 993s are more valuable than Carreras on a conditition-adjusted basis.

If you want a nice Porsche with decent amenities for a not-bad price, have you considered a later-year Boxster? I know not everyone will agree here, but I think they are great cars (again, avoid the earliest). The main thing is to get out and look at and drive a variety of these cars and choose what really fits you (in combination with research and a good PPI.

You were very candid to admit that the earlier 911 is not what you want after sampling them - that shows that you know what you like.
I think I got confused in the years of the 993 and 996, I know that the 993 cars command good money as well being the last year of the aircooled motor and all.

Actually I have considered the cockster but I dont know if I want another convertible. I know the chassis is supposedly better than the 911 and Porsche gimped it with less HP, but I kinda think if you're buying a porsche, might as well as get the model that is most recognizable as one.

I have no reason to BS you guys or myself. I know you'll see through it. When I started my search I was hell bent on an 80's 911 because I imagined it to be the ultimate driving machine in its purist form. After checking it out I realized that it is but not the way I imagined. I really shouldnt have expected any different, it is a late 80's sports car and they all pretty much follow the same recipe.

Quick Reply: All matter of questions regarding 85/86 3.2.