Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   911 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum-56/)
-   -   Taking the Plunge ('89 Carrera) - and interested in your opinion(s) (https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum/643113-taking-the-plunge-89-carrera-and-interested-in-your-opinion-s.html)

rmcquet 07-08-2011 12:22 AM

Taking the Plunge ('89 Carrera) - and interested in your opinion(s)

I'm a newbie, first post on this forum.
But I've already read a number of posts that chronicled the purchase of various "new" 911s, and I've really enjoyed reading about them.

So, thought I would do the same.
Long story short: friend of mine in Calif is selling his 1989 Carrera, black on black, 121k miles, he is second owner.

I know nothing about Porsches other than some advice from a few friends, what I've read on this forum, and the 101 Projects book that arrived yesterday via Amazon.

I will post pics of the car soon, and update on progress.

Question for everyone here: during PPI, mechanic came up with a list of To Dos, both immediate and for later. Do you think the prices quoted below are reasonable?

Immediate: brake caliper rebuild all around ($1,100) and replace ball joints ($330). Do these quotes make sense/sound reasonable?

For Later (nxt 5 - 10k miles): small leak around valve cover gasket, replace intermediate shaft O-ring, A/C needs recharge, left side oil return tubes, 1 of the booster fans isn't working, replace axle assemby and CV joints/boots

As much as I look forward to projects on my new car, I'm not sure I want my first foray underneath to be major steering and braking components. I'm not that confident in my mechanical skills quite yet.

So, I 'm just leaning toward doing the work, then having the car shipped to me.

Thanks, that's all for now until more pics

rusnak 07-08-2011 12:39 AM

hey, welcome to Rennlist.

I'd be interested in knowing if the brake calipers are sticking, pulling, dragging, or leaking, and why the need to rebuild them. Also, whether or not the brakes hoses are included in the job. Otherwise, the seal kit is really cheap, like $20 cheap and will fix most problems. Balljoints are fairly easy to replace. I think you can do that yourself. Are the cv boots torn?

redridge 07-08-2011 12:43 AM

Im more of a DIY person and those prices are def on the high side. Here is an idea of the brake rebuilding kits, and ball joints.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...pg4.htm#item17

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...g14.htm#item71

This is my first aircooled.... and Im just tearing away at it. These cars are easy to work on since it is mostly all mechanical, just gotta take your time with her.

Edward 07-08-2011 01:42 AM

As rusnak said, the brake caliper rebuild is way too easy a DIY job, especially with seals being as cheap as they are, to pay that kind of money. If the car stops straight and aren't dragging horribly, I'd definitely wait and DIY on that one. Not difficult, really!!
And while you're at it, the suggestion of replacing the rubber lines is right on, not only for the age of the car but also since your hydraulic system will be wide open anyway. New rubber here is smart.

Dunno about how bad your ball joints are now: if horrible, that'd be a good one for the shop to do. And you'll need a good alignment, IIRC. How aggressive or conservative an alignment is up to you.

Valve cover gasket and oil return tubes are up to you, depending on how bad the leak and your tolerance level. Sounds like the shop isn't convinced it's a must-do so def wait on that one.

CV joints: torn boots? If so, then yes, replace or you'll soon be spitting axle grease everywhere in the area, and if you drive in the rain you'll be introducing grit and grunge into the joint.

Dunno about the other points ...I'll leave that for others to respond to.

Cali cars are typically primo, and that it is your buddy's is a plus. But one glaring omission in your post is the engine: compression? leakdown? And the tranny? An 89 has a stout G50, but still can suffer from worn syncros. How's she shift? Any problems in the engine can run you into $10k plus; in the trans about half that; no joke. Be certain that the engine is all up to snuff and you can look forward to easily another 100K+ miles of 911 bliss!

Edward

ivangene 07-08-2011 01:59 AM

find a good brew, and start making friends, you will be glad you did and your wallet and sense of ownership will both be better off

rmcquet 07-08-2011 08:37 AM

Answers to Some Questions

Thanks, everyone, for the input!

First, some responses to the questions posed:

"I'd be interested in knowing if the brake calipers are sticking, pulling, dragging, or leaking, and why the need to rebuild them?"
- yes, sticking & dragging. pistons not retracting.

"Also, whether or not the brakes hoses are included in the job?"
- yes, all hoses included.

"Are the cv boots torn?"
- I don't think so, but I will confirm.

"But one glaring omission in your post is the engine: compression? leakdown? And the tranny?"
- compression and leakdown tests all good, though I don't have the results in front of me. Tranny is in very good shape.

Last major service was done around 110k miles.

I will talk to the mechanic one more time, then make a decision.
Thanks again for the input - don't be surprised if I lean on the forum heavily in order to complete some of these tasks.

tbanasiak 07-08-2011 10:17 AM

what is the absolute bottom dollar for the car? how long have you been looking? if ya spend the money be sure to get exactly what you want or as close to it , color, body style, options etc.................money spent once is better than saying later "i wish i had". good luck.

would like to see pics of the car!!

500 07-08-2011 11:19 AM

$1,100 is pretty rich for rebuilding calipers & new flex hoses. You can buy completely reconditioned calipers (PMB: http://www.pmbperformance.com/calipers.html) & lines for that money. Yes, there is still labor to factor in, but "just" a rebuild is pretty straightforward. (Do check with the PMB guys about availability of Carrera rear calipers if you are interested in going that route though).

In my case I rebuilt mine with new seal kits and bead blasted and powder coated the caliper bodies. The seal kit is very cheap as mentioned. The one potential "gotcha" would be whether the pistons have any pitting on them. If they do, then they really need to be replaced. However, this does not seem too common and a California car with that (relatively) low mileage would likely be OK. The pistons on my 100K '85 were perfect FWIW.

However, you have to judge how you feel about working on the car. They are (for the most part) straightforward cars to work on, but a lot of us are experienced working on cars and don't think twice about this stuff. Either way you go, you can get a lot of help here!

Caferacer 07-08-2011 11:43 AM

I am also new and so have no idea whether this is high or low but it seems like you too are in an area with other options for the repair work so it may not just be a choice between this mechanic and D.I.Y.

If you do a search on Chicagoland mechanics on this list and in the appropriate rennlist region list you could probably find some places to call for estimates. I have found that there is some variance here in the NYC area and that you pay up for convenience.

rmcquet 07-08-2011 11:51 AM

Some Pics (lo quality)

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by tbanasiak (Post 8696297)
would like to see pics of the car!!

Appreciate all of the feedback (and encouragement). Some low quality (camera phone) pics attached. (First pic you can see the reflection of Buttercup, my friend's 65 Mustang).

Caferacer 07-08-2011 12:23 PM

God these are beautiful cars. I am impressed by your disciplined approach. I would have bought it by now!

rusnak 07-08-2011 03:48 PM

Before you rebuild the calipers, make sure that your hoses are not the problem.

I would change the hard line between the flex hose and the caliper as well. They're dirt cheap, and if there is the slightest bend or kink in the line, it'll reduce flow a large amount.

race911 07-08-2011 04:03 PM

I'll join the chorus on questioning sticking brakes meaning caliper rebuild on a CA car. Did similar with the brake hoses on my friend's '73.5 Targa last year that had sat for 6-7 years, and all was well.

And ball joints? Talk about one of the most robust pieces on a torsion bar 911. Unless the boots got torn up somehow.

salukijac 07-08-2011 05:32 PM

Hmmm, I've seen a car like that before...

I agree with the concensus that the caliper rebuild is way too much. I can also vouch for pmb, they do a fantastic job. I had my calipers restored (big difference from rebuild) by them for about the same amount as your quote.

Is that car supposed to have a tail?

tbanasiak 07-08-2011 10:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey the car looks great! If everything works out mechanically your gonna have some great times cruising her. I like your friends stang....buttercup too. here is a pic of my 66 stang, i call her "Baby" even though she's candyapple red. Keep us posted on your plunge please.