Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   911 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum-56/)
-   -   Taking the Plunge ('89 Carrera) - and interested in your opinion(s) (https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum/643113-taking-the-plunge-89-carrera-and-interested-in-your-opinion-s.html)

dshepp806 07-09-2011 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by rmcquet (Post 8696525)
Appreciate all of the feedback (and encouragement). Some low quality (camera phone) pics attached. (First pic you can see the reflection of Buttercup, my friend's 65 Mustang).

I , too, have an '89 S.A. Edition and I've noticed that yours appears to have mucho space between the top of the console and bottom of the ashtray. I'd like to add another AC vent (fed from the bowtie), with many of the mods mounting this additional vent in this "available space". In my car, there is (virtually) no space there (well, VERY LITTLE). I guess it's because there is a CD holder section in mine? Weird....

Nice ride.....Congrats!

Doyle

rmcquet 07-09-2011 09:02 AM

Fair Points

Again, I appreciate all of the feedback! A fantastic resource and I haven't even taken delivery of the car yet. (She still needs a nickname, I think).

To summarize some of the opinions I have read: the caliper rebuild is either unneccessary (i.e., it's not the specific problem, maybe it's a brake line) or too expensive. And it's surprising that the ball joints may need replacing. All fair points.

It's hard for me to know for sure without being there. In this particular case, there's a fair amount of trust involved. The friend selling me the car is all about integrity. He trusts the mechanic, and the mechanic has worked on several of his cars over the years (prior to the '89, it was a '97 993 coupe). In addition, there are reviews of his work on Yelp, and most are very positive.

I have a few options: 1) decline all work, have it shipped, and deal with it myself once it arrives. Not sure how much money I would save. 2) accept it, get the work done, & have it delivered, knowing that it's safe and driveable. 3) ask my buddy to find another mechanic in Calif & get a second opinion.

I decided on Door #2. Life is too short to be messing around with possibly violating a friend's trust. I'm super frugal and hate wasting money, but in the big scheme of things, the $1,400 that I spend isn't all that much.

I find that I'm really looking fwd to other projects/upgrades/repairs, of which there will be many - and I haven't even driven it! I will be looking for input on what to tackle first (after I post a bunch of pictures).

tbanasiak 07-09-2011 09:36 AM

I would do the same I suppose. I like the fact the mechanic has a knowledge of your friends cars too.....It's like seeing the same doctor you have a history with. I drove a car from Texas last year to clarksville TN and this past May had an 01 996 shipped from California. Definitely prefer shipping for the no miles added and no road-rash, stone chip possibilities. Though the drive with my son was a great bonding time and super enjoyable drive I will always ship those distances if I buy another one. Hope my wife doesn't read that part! Anyway beautiful car your gonna love it and pamper the crap out of her. :)

GothingNC 07-09-2011 11:32 AM

I rebuilt the front calipers on mine 4 years ago, not as difficult as I thought the first time. Just make sure you used flared wrenchs to remove the hard brake line fittings.

The expensive part is the "While you are in there" syndrome..

Congrats :cheers:

ivangene 07-09-2011 11:47 AM

I have been watching for black coupes...anyone else notice there are not many?

Batman 357 07-13-2011 02:44 PM

It's a cool car. There is always something that needs doing if you know what I mean.

rmcquet 07-27-2011 01:30 PM

The car is on the way!
Loaded up on the truck on Monday.
Will post pics when it arrives, should hopefully be Friday.
Can't wait!

rusnak 07-27-2011 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by GothingNC (Post 8699108)
I rebuilt the front calipers on mine 4 years ago, not as difficult as I thought the first time. Just make sure you used flared wrenchs to remove the hard brake line fittings.

The expensive part is the "While you are in there" syndrome..

Congrats :cheers:

Never use the Craftsman flared wrench. A big crescent wrench is better.

Congratulations to the OP!

rmcquet 08-02-2011 12:28 AM

Meet the Black Widow!

1 Attachment(s)
Rennlist Forum, meet the Black Widow.
Black Widow, meet the forum.

As I mentioned, she's an '89 Carrera.
This pic is after a quick bath, at my friend's house.
My son is in the passenger seat.

We drove around town, went on the freeway, observed most posted speedlimits (except for a few on-ramps), rolled down the windows, opened the sunroof, and cranked the music. Was a total blast.

Will send more pics later.

On the future to do list: oil return tubes and turbo valve covers. But I may just wait until winter to do the work, as so much fun to drive.

syzygy 08-02-2011 12:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sweet looking ride. Congratulations. Ya can't go wrong with black... :)

BTW, you should already have turbo valve covers. They look like this with all the strengthening ribs:

Caferacer 08-02-2011 12:56 AM

woo hoo!

billyfeet 08-02-2011 01:34 AM

You did the right thing! Congrats on a fine car!

wildcat077 08-02-2011 09:16 AM

Winter is usually the season where we spend all kinds of money on our cars to upgrade/replace parts ...
Just wait until you get the "while i'm there" syndrome ... lol

Nice car,enjoy :)

Cheers !
Phil

redridge 08-02-2011 09:24 AM

I agree, drive the car... if not, the car will be on stands for awhile if you are on a roll with the "while Im in there".... happens to the best of us.

rmcquet 08-02-2011 11:47 AM

turbo valve covers

Originally Posted by syzygy (Post 8759340)
Sweet looking ride. Congratulations. Ya can't go wrong with black... :)

BTW, you should already have turbo valve covers. They look like this with all the strengthening ribs:

Ok, will check. Had assumed that I didn't have the turbo covers, but to be honest, I haven't even crawled under the car yet.