Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Changing Valve Cover Gaskets -

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2002, 02:26 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Changing Valve Cover Gaskets -

I assume this is an easy thing to do during an oil change and plan to do so soon. I am getting a drop or two of oil on 2 of the right side bolts on the lower valve covers, so I figure I will try a new gasket. Does anyone have feedback on what gaskets to use and whether I should also replace the nuts? Performance Products has a sale on so I thought perhaps I should pony up for the silicon gaskets. Any input is appreciated.
Old 10-31-2002, 04:40 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just did this a few weeks ago because of a leak I had, which was caused by previously over-torquing the covers. I might pony up for the silicon gaskets, but not until my next engine R&R. As for gasket covers, get the kit with the green gaskets and it should come with all the nylock nuts you need ($20-$30). I did it in under an hour and it was very easy. Get a 3/8 drive torque wrench, be sure to tighten the bolts in opposing fashion, finger tight first, then snug, then torque to 5.6 ft/lbs. Verify that torque spec. Whatever it is, they really mean it. Do not overtorque. That cured my last of many leaks.
Old 10-31-2002, 05:56 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Rick - where did you get 5.6 ft/lbs? I was told 8? I just retorqued all the nuts to 8 ft/lbs to see if this helped - it did not really make a difference.
Old 11-01-2002, 04:36 PM
gustaf
8th Gear

From what I understand the silicone gaskets are good though I haven't used them. I use the Silicone beaded gaskets and they work well...cheaper too!!
The other thing that you really need to do is check the actual valve covers themselves (exhaust side in particular). Often times they warp because they have been incorrectly torqued and been heat cycled. If you don't have a set of turbo valve covers, you should invest in a set (around $75/pair). That is what cured my oil leaks!!
Hope this helps.
-Dave

Quick Reply: Changing Valve Cover Gaskets -