Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Kharmann Coupe vs. Porsche Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2001, 02:43 PM
JimNB
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Kharmann Coupe vs. Porsche Coupe

In researching my VIN, it seams I own a Karmann Coupe. Whay is the difference between this and a Porsche Coupe ??
Old 12-18-2001, 04:19 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A number of different chassis builders have supplied the bodies to Porsche over the years. Porsche then assembled them. Among them have been Ruetter, Drauz, D'Iteran, Karmann, and "those guys in Finland" who build & assemble Boxsters today. As an Engineering Company, Porsche was doing "outsourcing" from the start. There are sometimes detailed differences among the various suppliers that can be mportant, ie rarity, rustproofing technique, etc.
Old 12-19-2001, 04:24 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Jim,
To answer your question. The 911 shells manufactured by Karmann were built and painted in Muenster Osnabrueck and shipped to Zuffenhausen for the production line and the 911 shells manufactured by Porsche were built and painted in Zuffenhausen. I believe the last shells built by Karmann was circa 1976. Pre galvanising.
The other differences are, NIL,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 12-19-2001, 12:53 PM
Reg
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good question Jim!

Mine is a Karmann Coupe too (with no sunroof )!!

as far as rust goes.... yes mine has some.
Old 12-19-2001, 02:29 PM
Thom Fitzpatrick
Racer

As the previous owner of a Karmann Ghia, I think "karmann" is German slang for "rust"
Old 12-20-2001, 03:54 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Very true Thom. One reason they were dropped kicked out of the picture. We have a few of these Ghias sitting aorund the area in which I live. Returning iron into the earth,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 12-20-2001, 12:53 PM
Reg
Instructor

Thom. Are you saying the build quality of a Porsche coupe is better than a Karmann coupe of the same vintage??

Or are you saying all pre galvanized cars are rust buckets?

Karmann Ghias are rust traps likely because they are so darn ugly they are all sitting out behind barns in long high grass where no one can see them!

Just my opinion.
Old 12-20-2001, 01:08 PM
Thom Fitzpatrick
Racer

Originally posted by Reg:
<STRONG>Thom. Are you saying the build quality of a Porsche coupe is better than a Karmann coupe of the same vintage??
</STRONG>No, I don't have any evidence either way
<STRONG>Or are you saying all pre galvanized cars are rust buckets?
</STRONG>It seems that Karmann cars are especially prone to rust; karmann ghias, karmann VW convertibles, etc. I think they come with the rust built-in from the factory.
<STRONG>Karmann Ghias are rust traps likely because they are so darn ugly they are all sitting out behind barns in long high grass where no one can see them!
</STRONG>Not out here in California. A KG will fetch 2-3 times the price of a bug in similar condition, and you'd be hard pressed to find a decent pre-60 KG hardtop, or a pre-69 KG convertible for under 5 figures!
I wonder what a Karosserie Hebmu:ller 356 would have looked like, if one had ever been made...
Old 12-20-2001, 07:20 PM
Roland Kunz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello

Well Karmann are not rust free. They mostly build complex bodys like the Karmann Ghia, BMW Coupes, Jaguar XJS Convertibles, Volkswagen Convertibles and Coupes. And not to forget our beloved 914.

If you look at old 356 Coupes you will find the Drauz and karmann are the best built and not as far rusty as Reuter bodys. If you look underneath you will find more vent/drain holes in the Karmann body then in the Reuters.

Today Karmann builts mostly Mercedes ( all those CLK convertibles ), KIA Sportage, Chryslers, VW Golf Convertibles.

Karmann is also like Porsche one from the major convertible top engeneerers and Karmann can cunstruct a complete car on there own branch as well.

In the 90´s was the rumor that Porsche will get supplied Boxster bodys from Baur or Karmann yet they made a JV with BMW pressing the big steel elements and preassembling structural body parts for Valmet. And Valmet is much cheaper and closer to the US then Stuttgart or Osnabrück.

Grüsse
http://www.karmann.com/internet/website.nsf
Old 12-20-2001, 10:04 PM
Reg
Instructor

Thanks for that info!

Quick Reply: Kharmann Coupe vs. Porsche Coupe