Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 01:11 PM
steve g
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1980

Seems like a good price, no affiliation, but wanted to pass this on. I am no expert on early 911 cars. I will take a closer look this afternoon on my way home from work.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national
Old 06-24-2011, 01:22 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 56 Posts

Hopefully that (what appears to be) a big oil puddle under the right rear of the car in the rear end picture didn't come from that car.

If you are serious about buying it, a pre-purchase inspection by a good independent Porsche mechanic will be money well spent. Make sure they check for broken head studs. And evidence of body rust, too.

And check the records carefully. If the engine was dismantled and "resealed", were the valve guides replaced?

With all that said, the car looks pretty good for the price, at least in pictures.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:57 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The rear seat belts are missing, the center vent,....and I'll bet the oil smells of Porsche.

It actually looks like Clive's.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:30 PM
Caferacer
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sheepskins are never a good sign but seats don't make the car. From the location and fresh appearance of that oil, is it possibly a spill from topping off? Though you would have to be severely spastic to get that much on the deck.

Inner voice saying (in a Brooklyn accent), "What, already you're an expert?"
Old 06-24-2011, 06:08 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,120 Likes on 802 Posts

great Doug .. now i have to go look .. i usually skip over these posts ..if it s got an oil pudle .. its exactly like mine
Old 06-24-2011, 06:14 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,120 Likes on 802 Posts

yeah something funky looking about that car
Looks like the coupe version of mine .
The interior has 3 distinct colours tho . looks like brown dash and door toppers, caramel or cork door cards and the carpet looks different again. Mine is copper brown metalic out . cork in

simple.

Could be a good pick up for the price , even with the leaks.
If everything checks out that is ..

this is what my interior looks like for comparison

Last edited by theiceman; 01-09-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:20 PM
Arctic1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by steve g
I am no expert on early 911 cars.
WOW - as an owner of an 80 SC I would never have referred to it as an 'early car', but I guess they sort of are being that they are 30+ years old.

I paid about $7000 more (similar milage) for mine last year and after completing a 3000 mile road trip in it I think mine is in great shape.

From the pics the car does look good, but that apparent oil spot does look a tad troubling.

Definitely one to check out.

jb
Old 06-24-2011, 07:39 PM
steve g
Burning Brakes

Took a closer look at the car this afternoon and if anyone is interested I can send you IPhone pics.
The story from the dealer is weird - supposedly the car was bought 5+ years ago from a used car dealer Luxury Motors (although they are out of business in Chicago, I never saw an old Pcar like this one in their lots)...supposedly bought buy a guy to had it worked on by a guy in Chicagoland named Andy Anwar (who supposedly doesnt take phone calls)...the current dealer supposedly bought the car from the shop doing the repair...I got a glimpse of the title showed the first name Gary but the dealer would let me see it closer...certainly a long story. The engine cases looked bright and from my cursory view were not covered with oil, maybe just a good cleaning job, who knows. Rust in door jamb by mfg date label, rust where the top of the front bumper meets the body below the headlights on both sides, both corners of the front hood lid, tops of the door jambs and at the bottoms of the door jambs behind the rubber threshholds, no rear seatbelts, rear seats leather is good, front seats have ductape repairs...owners manual and original radio manual in the glovebox. I did get to start it and it ran and stalled but did not drive it. If any local Rennlisters want to go look at it again, let me know.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:55 PM
steve g
Burning Brakes

Do 1980 year cars have an option codes sticker ?
If yes, where would the sticker be located ?
Old 06-28-2011, 01:29 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman

this is what my interior looks like for comparison
Didn't read the last line of text, just looked at the picture and thought "Iceman doesn't know what he's talking about 'cause wow, that thing is gorgeous."

Quick Reply: 1980