Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Tensioner collar

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 05:09 PM
Kevin G
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Tensioner collar

My 79sc does not have the oil pressure fed tensioners as of yet. My question is, are the collars that are sold for $20 an acceptable fix? I read many of the archives on some of the problems others have had installing the pressure fed tensioners and would also like to save the money. It seems to me that what I am after is that if the tensioners fail the result is not to have a catastrophic event with the pistons and valves, wouldn't the collars do this? Any input on why this is not an acceptable alternative would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin 79sc
Old 10-30-2002, 05:35 PM
rfuerst
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kevin,good question,I just recently purchased a 1983SC that does not have the updated tensioners and I am curious what the more experienced folks here have to say.I all ways thought that the safety collars were a great idea if they work,a cheap insurance policy for what seems to be the inevitable failure of the standard tensioner.Even with the upgraded tensioner,I would think adding the collars would be a good idea,they fail also,just not as often but with the same results.
Old 10-30-2002, 05:36 PM
Matt Chamblin
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Kevin, the collars are great if you're not going to update to the pressure fed tensioners. But the labor requirred to install them is almost as intensive. The only exception being, you don't have to change the oil lines, and remove the distributor.
Old 10-30-2002, 05:40 PM
Matt Chamblin
Instructor

[quote]Originally posted by rfuerst:
<strong>Even with the upgraded tensioner,I would think adding the collars would be a good idea,they fail also,just not as often but with the same results.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't remeber the reason, but you don't want to run the collars on the pressure fed tensioners. I'll give you the reason, when it comes to me.
Old 10-31-2002, 02:45 PM
Kevin G
Track Day

Does anyone know what is required to install the collars? They appear to come in two pieces, can you put the collars on while the tensioners are still in? If they solve the failure problem I would sure rather use the left over $380 for say a 930s steering wheel.

Kevin 79sc
Old 10-31-2002, 04:29 PM
MM83targa
Intermediate

I did some investigating when I was faced with this decision on my 83SC I bought early last year. I was uncomfortable with the stock tensioners and considered the upgrade to hydraulic as well as the collar stop alternative. I spoke to at least one mechanic that had rebuilt an engine because of a collar stops that had actually fractured - I don't recall if the stock tensioner had failed as well. My understanding is that stock tensioners WILL fail, it's just a matter of when. I believe someone on the Pelican site actually has +200k miles on original tensioners. I also know an owner who's tensioner failed in their garage upon startup, with no other damage done. They heard the "chains across a garbage can lid" noises and shut the engine down immediately.

Personally, I decided on the hydraulic tensioners, purchased the kit from Hendrick Porsche ($375) and installed them with the help of a more experience Porsche owner. I consider it insurance - a much cheaper alternative to a rebuild.
Old 11-02-2002, 11:15 PM
Matt Chamblin
Instructor

[quote]Originally posted by Kevin G:
<strong>Does anyone know what is required to install the collars? They appear to come in two pieces, can you put the collars on while the tensioners are still in? If they solve the failure problem I would sure rather use the left over $380 for say a 930s steering wheel.

Kevin 79sc</strong><hr></blockquote>

To be blunt, everything you would do for a Carrera tensioner upgrade, except removing the dizzy, and installing the oil lines.

A more detailed list would be:

1. Jack up car
2. Remove rear valance, muffler, and rear engine tin.
3. remove tensioner covers
4. remove tensioners, and install collars.

Then put it all back together.

Personnaly I would not want to go to the trouble of all this, and not update to the pressure fed ones. But if $ is tight, the collars will do better than the OE without.

Quick Reply: Tensioner collar