Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

advice on 1980 sc

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 12:31 AM
Self
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice on 1980 sc

I had been looking for a while to get either an sc or carrera (1978-1989).

I found a 1979 targa top which is a bit unusual, but interesting.

The owner bought it in 1995, shortly thereafter something happened to the engine and he decided to do a complete restoration. The engine was rebuilt (Raceware head stud kit, Carrera chain tensioner, Main bearings, Rod bearings, Intermediate shaft bearings, Timing chains and all sprockets, Chain rails, Reconditioned connecting rods -- new end bearings, Connecting rod nuts & bolts, Piston rings, Reconditioned cylinder heads, valve guides and refaced valves), transmission rebuilt (by Vertex), suspension upgraded. While engine and transmission out, he did a complete paint job (including engine bay, etc), with new windshield seals, etc. he also upgraded the chain tensioners, airbox valve and completely updated the AC with new compressor (round type, not squre) and new other stuff I can't remember. Also changed the targa top for fiberglass.

Issues:
1. he can't remember how many miles the car had when he got it, he changed the odometer and now it shows some 100K miles. So, I really don't know how many miles on the chassis. I can't carfax since the car is older than 1981
2. he rebuilt the car between 1995 and about 2000. Since then, he says he put only about 1,000 miles on it.

price: $14.5K

I have concerns: for one, I don't know in truth how many miles since rebuilt, etc. Second, if it is true that only 1,000 miles were put on the car since 2000, I worry with gas tank rust, etc, etc.

Would you consider this car and how would you approach this?

thanks
Old 06-20-2011, 12:50 AM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Who did the rebuild? Does he have documentation of the work done? At least if there is a date on the paperwork then you can get an idea of how much time it has been. A thousand miles works out to only 90 miles a year so it has been doing a lot of sitting. Gas may be bad, check under the battery tray, etc. Proceed with caution...
Old 06-20-2011, 01:11 AM
Self
6th Gear

Originally Posted by KNS
Who did the rebuild? Does he have documentation of the work done? At least if there is a date on the paperwork then you can get an idea of how much time it has been. A thousand miles works out to only 90 miles a year so it has been doing a lot of sitting. Gas may be bad, check under the battery tray, etc. Proceed with caution...
I was told that the rebuilt was done by a Porsche technician. I was provided his tel number and I will call him tomorrow.

I am also a bit disconcerted with the fact that he painted the car in a different color than the original color. It was brown and it is yellow now. I do like yellow but not sure how this affects value if/when I sell.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:31 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the 82- SC. Great cars. You might inquire as to any performance upgrades on the 79. It has,to,be really fresh,for that kind of money.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:27 PM
Arctic1
Advanced

In my world the more questions and the more uncertainty means a lower price. With this car, the 14.5 doesn't seem like a really good deal unless it passes inspections and is a solid driver.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:34 AM
Todd951968
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At this price point , $14k-ish, you are probably not going to find a low mile , original paint, fully documented car. THose seem to be in the $20k range. What you are describing is a car that would be a great driver quality Porsche, IF, it all checks out. Why was it only driven a thousand miles in all of this time? Still, if its been rebuilt and everything, it sounds like a decent deal to me. I doubt you can replicate all the work described for less money. Sure, changing paint color will affect value but , then, you aren't spending $20k and up for it either. You will probably have to have the fuel system cleaned out and the brake fluid checked but I say try to get a little money knocked off the price and go for it if you like the car.

Quick Reply: advice on 1980 sc