911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Porsche 911 101 Class

Old 12-10-2016, 08:43 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

The only thing idiotic is this post. Absolutely hard on gas, under right conditions and turn, to off throttle-can lead to a spin. I don't know how many have done that. First time I spun at he track doing it, is still in my brain, after many years. Having said that, it's all about increments. Lots in life is. You want salt on something, a dash often does it-not multiple teaspoons.

Same with throttle in any car, especially a 911. If you haven't seen the image of a 4 legged chair and balance, which is probably the 1st thing a decent instructor does in the classroom, perhaps you need to. That is why throttle input is crucial-it's about keeping some semblance of weight distribution. It isn't about pedal to the medal, or OFF, but rather about throttle input to maintain balance.

The fact is many new to 911's "freak out" when they maybe get out of shape in a turn, let off the gas in response, and pretty much ensure a spin.

Originally Posted by sugarwood
Biggest myth of 911 culture. This mythology that 911's flip around the second you lift throttle is idiotic and dangerous. It needs to end.

In reality, it is nearly impossible to lose traction by simply lifting throttle in a turn. On a skid pad, you are already scrubbing tires at the limit and then you lift, and then the instructor yanks your E-brake, and THEN you lose traction. Oh, and they have hosed down the skid pad with firetrucks as well. In the real world, you can lift all day long and be fine.

Very dangerous advice to convince new drivers to speed recklessly through a turn on public streets. At best, be a little more specific, and qualify the statement.

"Don't lift (....when you are driving 80 mph around a very sharp turn and your tires are already screaming louder than a dying cat. Anything less than that, lift all you want, you'll be fine.)"
Old 12-10-2016, 10:58 PM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Sorry, but almost no one enters a turn on public roads with their tires screaming and throttle on full. If they do, they will not be around very long, as they plow into an SUV or tractor trailer.
As I said, a 911 doesn't just lose traction by letting go of throttle, except in perhaps the most extreme conditions. Like a wet skid pad, grinding tires, and yanking the E-brake, AND lifting.

Telling a 911 n00b that his car will spin around if he every lifts off the throttle, as if that's some generalized truism, is absolutely idiotic (and totally false)
Old 12-11-2016, 10:37 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,007 Likes on 715 Posts

Sorry, but almost no one enters a turn on public roads with their tires screaming and throttle on full. If they do, they will not be around very long, as they plow into an SUV or tractor trailer.
As I said, a 911 doesn't just lose traction by letting go of throttle, except in perhaps the most extreme conditions. Like a wet skid pad, grinding tires, and yanking the E-brake, AND lifting.

Telling a 911 n00b that his car will spin around if he every lifts off the throttle, as if that's some generalized truism, is absolutely idiotic (and totally false)
What you have completely forgotten is not always do drivers drive in perfect road conditions.
You don't have to have to have tires screeching to have the ends flip around when lifting on a wet road.
Lots of Porsches in ditches for those not lucky enough to live in constant dry climates. Posts like yours just have to stop sugar daddy
Old 12-11-2016, 02:42 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Telling a 911 n00b that his car will spin around if he every lifts off the throttle, as
if that's some generalized truism, is absolutely idiotic (and totally false)
Please go away. Like nobody ever wadded up their 911 on a wet, slippery or even dry road because they panicked. You seem to think in terms of black and white all in or all off. A car with a rear weight bias will certainly handle different than 90+ % of other cars around. Stop the idiotic posting.
Old 12-11-2016, 02:43 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theiceman
What you have completely forgotten is not always do drivers drive in perfect road conditions.
You don't have to have to have tires screeching to have the ends flip around when lifting on a wet road.
Lots of Porsches in ditches for those not lucky enough to live in constant dry climates. Posts like yours just have to stop sugar daddy
Exactly.

What Ice said.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:03 PM
sugarwood
Pro

Ok, well, in that case, let's update the myth that 911's instantly spin out when you lift to qualify that with "Don't lift.....when the roads are wet" (Otherwise, on dry roads, lift all day long, as long as your tires are not wailing)
Old 12-13-2016, 10:38 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Stop
Old 12-13-2016, 11:40 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Ok, well, in that case, let's update the myth that 911's instantly spin out when you lift to qualify that with "Don't lift.....when the roads are wet" (Otherwise, on dry roads, lift all day long, as long as your tires are not wailing)
Dude. There's a whole lotta grey area between "car always spins" and "car never spins"...

It's learning how to intentionally rotate the cars that make them so much fun.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:41 PM
sugarwood
Pro

Stop? Not a very compelling argument.

I've lifted 100's of times in the middle of a turn, and have not even come close to losing the slightest bit of traction.
It's about time someone put the ludicrous internet myth to bed.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:57 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

I've lifted 100's of times in the middle of a turn, and have not even come close to losing the slightest bit of traction.
May I politely suggest you learn how to drive then?

What 911 are you driving, first? Mods? Track time?

I've seen Ed on the street and on the track and I know he knows what he is talking about first hand. I don't know you from Adam. I know I have spun my car twice....once on the track and once on the freeway.....they spin.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:22 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

...and sugar, does your car have an LSD? They are as useful to braking as they are to acceleration.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:27 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Go away, you have no reading comprehension. The arguments have been made-you don't understand much.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:12 PM
sugarwood
Pro

I know how to drive just fine. The bottom line is that I can lift in a turn and not lose traction. I've tested it out dozens of times. So, I know the reality, period. Stop spreading your exaggerated internet BS to newcomers who are then more likely to floor it thru a turn and crash due to this outlandish advice to "never lift". Any new buyer of a 911, go ahead and enter a turn and let go of the gas, report back if your car spins out. The results will speak for themselves.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:57 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Wow. You realize we are talking not lifting if you are at 9/10ths, right? I'm sure it's fine to lift if you are tooling along at the speed limit, but we are talking about something a bit more extreme, a bit faster. Don't lift if your tires are already at the edge of adhesion.....and really don't lift if you don't have at least a 220 LSD.

Anyway, let's move along to other lessons.....like warming up your R compound tired before you get to the canyon.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:45 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I know how to drive just fine. The bottom line is that I can lift in a turn and not lose traction. I've tested it out dozens of times. So, I know the reality, period. Stop spreading your exaggerated internet BS to newcomers who are then more likely to floor it thru a turn and crash due to this outlandish advice to "never lift". Any new buyer of a 911, go ahead and enter a turn and let go of the gas, report back if your car spins out. The results will speak for themselves.
STFU D-bag. There, I said it. I don't use that type of reply. But, you don't understand anything other than black and white. You do not understand the nuances or MF a rear engines car. For that matter, you don't seem to understand the concept of a nuance, period. I drove my first 911 without wrecking, without spinning. But, when I learned to drive it at the limit, I did learn to use the right foot judiciously, and to not give in to instinct by letting up. Now STFU, d-bag, and go back to your hole. You are a moron and a danger here. There, I said it again, and I don't care. If I get bounced, I'll dispute the membership charges with Amex.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porsche 911 101 Class