Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

A/C Recharge r-12 and R134a

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 07:58 PM
rekstein
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry A/C Recharge r-12 and R134a

Just picked up a 1988 911 cabriolet last year and the a/c was inspected and working according to the report. Needless to say it wasn't this past hot spell. I looked inside at the compressor. I did not know if it was r-12 or r134 that is being a newbie. Having done some more reading and have found the gauges I bought to check the system are screw on which I now understand to be for an r-12 system. The fitting on the compressor are a clamp on type. Which I now understand to be for r 134 freon charge. Ya think there should have been a label somewhere. Having just purchased 6 cans of r 12 and reading all the posts should I switch it back to r12. And how do I know the system is truly charge with r134? and the o rings and the other stuff I read about was done correctly?. I haven't even got up to testing for leaks yet. Would appreciate the groups thoughts on my situation. Could have r-12 cans for sale soon. And a winter project on my hands. Thanks
Old 06-13-2011, 08:14 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it's been converted, then you have an easy job ahead. Gauges are easy to get, and you just need to rent or buy a vacuum pump and maybe some cheap o-rings to do the job right. If it's R-12, then your best hope is that there is some pressure in there, and you just need a can to top it up, but you still need gauges, which you might get on E-bay. R-12 fittings are black, and the 134a fittings tend to be red (high side) and blue (low side).
Old 06-13-2011, 09:30 PM
rekstein
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes the fittings are red and blue. so I guess its r134. will have to buy r-12 to r134 adapter fittings. Is it possible to have r134 fittings and filled with r-12?
Old 06-13-2011, 11:31 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it was my car, I'd hold on to the R-12. I'd get the system running and verify no leaks or blockages with the cheap(er) 134a, and then worry about converting it to R-12 later, like next year.

You don't know if the compressor is seized, or if there is a leak, or if the receiver dryer is blocked, or of the expansion valve is plugged.

When you do the conversion, see if the expansion valve has a stamp on it, and if it says "134". It seems there is some disagreement on compatibility of oil, and if you need a larger orifiice in the expansion valve for R-12. So I'd poll the experts on these issues in advance.

I would also plan on a full flush of the system if you find that it's been compromised. I found out the hard way that bits of dirt and metal can plug the system.

Quick Reply: A/C Recharge r-12 and R134a