Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

My Search Begins

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 02:03 PM
BrianM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Search Begins

Been lurking here for quite a while and finally decided to register and ask a couple of questions.

I say the search begins but it actually began quite a while ago. Have done lots of reading and research to decide on what 911 I am truly looking for and am finally able to get serious about finding a car.

Looking for an 84-89 3.2. Preference would be for an 87-89 Targa with a tail but would consider earlier years and coupes as well and say condition would be ultimate deciding factor. My goal is to find a car that is a good driver. Not a daily driver but a nice weekend and fair weather car to drive and possibly autocross from time to time. Don't need or want concourse perfect and don't want something that is molested and has been highly modified.

I am not new to Porsche but have been out of the Porsche world for a while and am new to 911s. I owed a 1973 914 for a while that I loved. It was a daily driver for me for a few years and never gave me much trouble. That car was a good unmolested example but wasn't perfect.

Couple of questions for everyone to start.

Looking around it seems that prices on the 3.2 are really all over the place but from what I have seen it seems like a nice example can be had for mid to upper teens. I searched around here looking for some ideas on prices but it seems that most of the threads dealing with prices are at least a few years old. I would definitely be looking for something in the sub $20k range and would prefer to be at about $15k-$17k. Is this a realistic budget for what I am describing?

Also quick question about miles. Most of the cars in the upper teens seem to be in the 100k-150k mile range. Assuming good service history and a good PPI from what I gather I can expect the car to still perform relatively reliably and for many more miles correct?

Forgot to mention that after the initial PPI I plan to do all service DIY. I am very mechanically inclined and have lots of experience doing a complete restoration of a 70 Bronco along with brake jobs etc on my daily drivers and in the past various service work on my 914.

Hope to be an owner sometime in the relatively near future. Thanks in advance for all of the information.

Last edited by BrianM; 06-07-2011 at 07:09 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:28 PM
Caferacer
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I paid $19k last week for a 90,000 mile, well taken care of '88 sunroof coupe. The jury is still out on whether I underpaid or overpaid but I am happy and I pick up the car tomorrow. The budget and condition you describe is similar to mine and your research sounds like what I saw in the market in the Northeast. BTW, I found my car on Autotrader and had PPI done at a shop recommended by a Rennlister. Also, when I visited the car and met the PO I could tell that the car was loved, adult driven and always garaged. That definitely counts for something and cannot always be ascertained until you have boots on the ground. Good luck and have fun!
Old 06-07-2011, 03:40 PM
Arctic1
Advanced

Do not see a reason why you can't find what you are looking for in the price range specified.

I did something similar but did not limit myself to one specific type. Ended up with a 1980 911SC with 110 000 miles. Under $20K - purchased Fall 2010.

From your description I would place mine in the type of quality that you are looking for. Solid car that is not concours.

Expect that what you are looking for should be in the sub $20K range and likely closer to 100K miles.

It just may take some time to find - mine took 3 1/2 years and I am incredibly grateful that I waited.

Good luck with the search and keep us posted.

jb
Old 06-07-2011, 05:52 PM
mrk_d
1st Gear

You should be able to find a good car in that range. At 100-150k miles be sure to check out valve guides, as they can experience wear on the 3.2s early in some cases from what I have read.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:13 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

I think you should have options in the higher teens that will work well. Especially for a Targa, which are slightly less sought after than coupes (from all that I can tell).

I paid $18.8K for an '85 coupe that was in OK, but not great condition. Better mechanically than cosmetically. I bought my car just prior to the brunt of the financial crisis and I do think prices have been generally lower since that time.

What I would say is, if you want to hold your price point, look for a car that mechanically needs NOTHING at that price. If you buy a car at (let's say) $17K, but you know the suspension bushings are tired, the valves will need adjustment soon, plugs and wires are old etc. but figure "Hey, that's all pretty minor stuff... I'l get it fixed up, it won't cost much..." then be prepared for a surprise: All that simple stuff adds up FAST, even doing work yourself.

So, do be picky!
Old 06-07-2011, 10:02 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

You'll be fine and you'll enjoy working on it.

Quick Reply: My Search Begins