Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

oil consumption on a 3.0?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 10:41 PM
CorsePerVita
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil consumption on a 3.0?

I figured I'm about normal but figured I'd check. I'm doing anywhere from 1/2 qt to 3/4 qt every 400ish miles. Keep in mind lately it has been very cold, many times below freezing point. So getting to temp takes longer.

I figure oil consumption at colder temps would be greater since things are still expanding to operating temp and take longer to do it.

It is now about summer temps so I will keep an eye on it. But I mean doing the math I'm using about 1qt every 800 miles or so. Not bad? Bad? Mind you during COLD TEMPS not summer temps. Using 15w-40.

82' 911 SC 3.0
Old 06-03-2011, 11:05 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,120 Likes on 802 Posts

that is very high imo

allmost aproaching engine rebuilding time

I also have a 3.0 litre and i use about 2 quarts every 5,000km or so .. maybe .. probably 1.5

you are using a half to 3/4 every tank of gas ..
Old 06-03-2011, 11:08 PM
CorsePerVita
Pro

What all is involved in a rebuild? Is this something I can do myself? If it's something simple like going through a refresher on rings, studs, etc I don't see any reason I couldn't do such a thing myself.

The engine runs quite sound, gets good mileage, sounds quiet, it's happily within spec on the valves, etc... Doesn't feel tired. It is at almost 180k miles though.

I noticed during hot days there is not any poof among startup. On very cold days i'll see a little burned oil as she starts up and it goes away once the car is warmed up. Hence why I assume it may be more than normal during cold temp season.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:12 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

to do right rebuilds can be very expensive but can certainly be done .. i will do mine when it needs it.

the issue may be if your bores and pistons are worn .. could get pricey.

many have been done by guys on the forum ...

people with more experience can speak up but if there are no other issues .. oil is relatively cheap compared to rebuilding a motor

Last edited by theiceman; 06-03-2011 at 11:32 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:13 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by CorsePerVita
What all is involved in a rebuild? Is this something I can do myself? If it's something simple like going through a refresher on rings, studs, etc I don't see any reason I couldn't do such a thing myself.

The engine runs quite sound, gets good mileage, sounds quiet, it's happily within spec on the valves, etc... Doesn't feel tired. It is at almost 180k miles though.

I noticed during hot days there is not any poof among startup. On very cold days i'll see a little burned oil as she starts up and it goes away once the car is warmed up. Hence why I assume it may be more than normal during cold temp season.
http://www.rennsportsystems.com/

Call my buddy Steve Weiner. Tell him you want the douglas bray discount.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:25 PM
CorsePerVita
Pro

Well, I guess the thing that confuses me is when I first bought the car it hardly used anything. Then again when I first bought the car temps were pretty warm, normal even and I was driving around with the targa top off.

It only seems to be lately it is using this much oil. So I am wondering if perhaps it'll be normal again since the temperature of the car will be at normal temps again. Warmup cycle when it's below freezing seems to take quite a while, literally maybe 1/4 to 1/2 the trip home.

Today, i was barely up to the highway before it was past the warmup mark, and past the 1st mark on my temp gauge on the highway the entire way on my trip.

So I guess my main question is "Is that normal for cold temps" as in winter temps? Will oil consumption have anything to do with the seasonal temps, type of oil, etc. Or should it remain normal at all times? I wouldn't think so due to tolerances taking longer to reach where they need to be upon temp since the engine runs colder, therefore using more. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm simply trying to understand what's normal.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:35 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

i drive mine right into december and see no appreciable diffrence but i like your aproach .
Start logging every drop of oil you use and at what milage . Study the problem before trying to solve it
Old 06-03-2011, 11:42 PM
CorsePerVita
Pro

Yeah it's a good point. I'll keep an eye and see if it changes.

I'll give that guy a call tomorrow and see what he says. I prefer to do my own work on my cars, however, am limited on stuff since I cannot do my own machine work lol.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:46 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Sounds high to me, and I've never heard of temp being an issue. I'd actually think that would go the other way.

A garage mechanic can do a rebuild-it is just more complicated than many other engines-and quite expensive.

Here's a thread from a partial redo of my motor last year. I did the basic rebuild about 3 years before. About $10k that first time-reusing pistons and cylinders.

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...ild-redux.html
Old 06-03-2011, 11:47 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

PS-I farmed out the machine work.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:56 PM
CorsePerVita
Pro

I'm being told that 620miles per quart is "acceptable" per factory specs per someone else. I'm assuming that would be "Ok now it is really time to rebuild..."

I think I'll keep an eye on it, see if I'm crazy and see exactly how much it's using. I may be measuring incorrectly too. I'm still getting used to checking the oil lol. My idle is sometimes inconsistent as well, so I have to make sure my readings are accurate.

I'll start jotting it down.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:01 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I think factory specs are ridiculous.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:34 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by amber lamps
http://www.rennsportsystems.com/

Call my buddy Steve Weiner. Tell him you want the douglas bray discount.
Is that where he doubles the price and turns off the phones?

Just havin' fun
Old 06-04-2011, 12:35 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I think factory specs are ridiculous.
Yes, they relax the specs so 99.99% pass.

FWIW, my 3.2L with 80k on the clock uses 1/2 qt per 3000 miles. Most is attributable to valve guides and the blue puff on startup.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:45 AM
CorsePerVita
Pro

Yes, I do get the blue puff, but only on very cold mornings.

Quick Reply: oil consumption on a 3.0?