Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Front license plates

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2002, 12:09 PM
gerry100
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Front license plates

Posting to gain some trivial info and also vent..

Late afternoon yesterday I leave my home office with Elvira ( '86 3.2 ) for our daily workout and to get the newspaper.

As I get to the main intersection in town ( 2 two lanes come together, gas station, supermarket, bank, firehouse etc)at the peak of what we call a rush hour and make a right turn I notice that traffic is slowed to a crawl by a lane blockage caused by a car pulled over by one of NY States finest. As I manuever around the blockage, another trooper edges out of the firehouse and lights up behind me. I pull over and get a ticket for no front plate. ( It's in the boot). I wasn't the only citizen so harrassed.

I don't know if this was a fundraiser or a hazing ritual for new troopers but I plan to complain.

Before I do I'd better hang the front plate. Any tips on doing this?. The PO told me that the plates messed with the valence and I havemn't had one on in the year I've had the car.
Old 10-29-2002, 12:40 PM
Rick C
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 1987 came with an elaborate holder that attached with two screws to the car. The holder then had four bolts for the plate. Took it off and hung it up and hope I don't get pulled over. I think Pelican Parts has these holders.

How much did they gouge you for?
Old 10-29-2002, 12:49 PM
cmoss

When I bought my 993 in Sacramento Ca. it didn't even come with a front licence plate. Hmmm...
Old 10-29-2002, 02:18 PM
Noel
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
What I do with mine, which I admit to only driving on nice weekends or at the track is to risk it and pay the fine when ticketed. I would hate the ruin the asethetics of the car with a damn OHIO front plate.

Noel
Old 10-29-2002, 06:36 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
In California, at least, the reason is revenue -- but not from the $25 front plate citation. They need them in place for stoplight cameras. Out here, they even cite you when the car is parked.

I pay it as a vanity tax, putting the plate back on for the marshall to sign off on the ticket. Then the plate goes right back in the trunk. I just can't imagine spoiling the front end of a 911 with a tin rectangle.

<a href="http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads/22SundayDrive-M.jpg" target="_blank"> </a>

(Click on the thumbnail for larger version.)
Old 10-30-2002, 12:34 AM
Adrian de Silva
Track Day

Pelican Parts does have the license Plate Bracket and hardware ($38). Fits with no problem.

I noticed that most of the PCA cars don't have front license plates. I just didn't want the hassle of getting pulled over so I just added the plate.
Old 10-30-2002, 12:37 AM
Adrian de Silva
Track Day

Pelican Parts does have the license Plate Bracket and hardware ($38). Fits with no problem. I also have an '87.

I noticed that most of the PCA cars don't have front license plates. I just didn't want the hassle of getting pulled over so I just added the plate.

Quick Reply: Front license plates