Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Pretty in Matte! ('80 SC build story)

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 12:35 PM
NaplesBound
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pretty in Matte! ('80 SC build story)

Hey everyone. Im new to Rennlist, but post on other boards (Pelican, Funf Gruppen, 6 Speed, etc) under the same name. I just wanted to introduce myself and show everyone here my project as well. Plus it is always nice to get feedback from different people.

Anyways, on to the project. It started a year ago when I bought my first 911. It was an 80SC with 964 body updates and a 3.6l in the back. She was black on black with a sunroof. It was a great car, but she had her problems due to not being factory... but I loved her anyways. Long story short I let a friend drive her and he decided it would be a good idea to hit a tree. It wasnt all his fault as during the break-down I found that the shifter had broken loose. So I decided that now was the time to start building my dream car.

On to some photos:
Attached Images    
Old 05-12-2011, 12:42 PM
NaplesBound
Intermediate

I decided to give the guys at Better Bodies a call for some new panels. I decided on their Super Street package. Those guys are great and they were very helpful with all my questions. They shipped out a new fender plus the fiberglass. The products arrived in better condition than I thought (read amazing stuff from the get-go). So the car was dropped off at the body shop where she would begin her makeover.

Amazingly enough, she only suffered pinched oil lines, fender and bumper damage. No suspension.

On to more photos:
Attached Images      
Old 05-12-2011, 12:59 PM
NaplesBound
Intermediate

After some thought, I decided that I couldnt use the front bumper. It was too shallow. Thus not really allowing me to run a center mount oil cooler. So I sold it.

After that, I took the car back home and decided to really get into her. I had been bit by the bug. I started looking for all sorts of modifications and what exactly I wanted out of her. I came to the conclusion that I wanted a NA motor producing 350bhp or so with full coilovers and as light as possible. Im shooting for the 2,000lbs milestone. She will feature a full chromoly cage, two lollipop race seats molded after original 935s, 935 5-spoke wheels produced by D Zug, no AC, radio, heat, etc. Just the bare essentials. She will see a little street, but mostly track days and just morning fun runs when its nice out. I will probably have to re-do the rear quarters, and I might not use the front fenders in an effort to shave more weight, but Im still up in the air about that.

I have completely stripped the car down to basically raw metal. I took the motor out last night, along with the suspension up front. I dont have much left to do before I send her off to get the roof swap and cage put in next month. After that, I hope to get her dipped and painted. This way I know the car is completely clean and in good standing.

Here are a few of the photos during the tear down process. It took a long time as I only have one day a week to work on her, and a single car garage. But everything has been worth it so far. I can proudly say Ive done the majority of the work...which means the world to me. I want to know everything about this car...inside and out.

Chris
Attached Images      
Old 05-12-2011, 01:02 PM
NaplesBound
Intermediate

A few more photos.
Attached Images   
Old 05-12-2011, 01:05 PM
NaplesBound
Intermediate

Ill post up some photos of the progress from last night later today. The garage is a mess, so I need to clean up a bit. Need to find some space to put the motor and tranny. I wish I had a bigger garage. lol. Ohh well.. in the future. This will have to suffice for now.

Chris
Old 05-12-2011, 03:29 PM
NaplesBound
Intermediate

As I promised... a few more photos from some of the work last night. Sorry about the mess...

Chris
Attached Images      
Old 05-12-2011, 03:33 PM
NaplesBound
Intermediate

It was a big relieft to finally get the motor out last night. Now its on to the finishing touches. Do the rear suspension, clean up the engine bay, and then she should be off for the cage work and roof swap... Cant wait.

Chris
Old 05-12-2011, 05:36 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey were are you storing that engine at night? I need one of those...

and BTW - wire up your CV joints (coat hangers to shock towers work) - easy to damage when they are hanging by their boots.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:14 AM
NaplesBound
Intermediate

Thanks for the info g-50cab. I did that last night. It's a big build, but I'm excited about it and look forward to it.

Chris
Old 05-14-2011, 01:38 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

It will be fun to follow this as you go. Good pictures
Old 05-17-2011, 09:02 PM
Koizumi
5th Gear

I'll be watching, too. Nice work thus far.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:23 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Dude, you are nuts. Welcome to rennlist and keep the photos coming.

and what's the other toy in your driveway?
Old 05-18-2011, 12:01 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Ambitious build-good luck. By the time you hit 350HP, do the suspension and some brakes to go with it on the spendometer, you'll be at a 2 car garage.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:57 AM
NaplesBound
Intermediate

Its an 03 Ranger (well whats left of it). I built it when I was living in California. But unfortunately, I cant really use it here in Florida, legally at least. Blitz LT up front with Fox Coilovers strapped at 17" with Deavers in the back. Fox Shocks all the way around. All fiberglass. The list goes on. The only thing she is missing is a cage and a built 347. She definitely gets the looks here because no one has ever see such a truck. They are used to big and tall... not wide.

As for the garage.... look at it this way, less room to lose stuff in. lol.

Should have some more photos tomorrow or later tonight.

Chris
Old 02-23-2012, 12:10 AM
NaplesBound
Intermediate

Well its been awhile since I updated my thread here on Rennlist. I get so caught up on other things, I forget to update everything.

Anyways, since the last time I posted, I loaded the car up on a trailor and drove her to North Carolina. Its about a 1800 mile round trip. Took her to a friends shop who is doing my cage and new body modifications. Ive since decided to cut off the old quarters and use completely new carbon fiber pieces from GT Racing in Colorado. Im going with the 74 RSR look. Ive already received the carbon roof panel and my doors. They are super light. The entire back half of the cage is done and the front struts are currently with Clint out at Rebel Racing in California for a complete overhaul. As I said earlier, going to go full coilovers on the car.

Up next on the list is to finish the front half of the cage, bond the roof to the car, and then clean off the underside. That should hold me until the begining of summer. We shall see.

Chris

Quick Reply: Pretty in Matte! ('80 SC build story)