Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

upside/downside to a/c delete

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 10:58 PM
dhagood
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upside/downside to a/c delete

i'm also thinking about doing an a/c delete. at this point i have no intention of ever selling my car. it's not a daily driver and never will be again, so i don't need a/c. if it's too hot to drive without a/c, i'll just take another vehicle. the 911 is mostly used for taking my wife out for a drive on nice evenings (slow, quiet, and steady) or being out by myself clearing my head (fast, loud, and as steady as i can manage). however, plans change.

if i had a chance to get a long hood 911, which is about as realistic as winning the lottery, i'd have to fund that by selling my 84. it's not inconceivable i might have to sell it to by some bill created by a family emergency of some type. i'd guess it would be up to a given buyer whether or not the lack of a/c was an issue or not.

the upsides would be to lighten the car by some 80 pounds or so and to relieve congestion in the engine compartment.

any other downsides anybody can think of?
Old 05-10-2011, 10:03 AM
Arctic1
Advanced

For slow quiet rides or for fast and loud trips will the 80 pounds of weight really matter?

I struggled with the same when I bought mine and since I bought it from a Porsche tech I told him to re-install the AC.

jb
Old 05-10-2011, 10:19 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

I removed all the AC related stuff from my 89,didn't really see the need for the extra 85 lbs and it makes cleaning my air filter and changing/checking the R/H side spark plugs a breeze.
Everything was removed carefully and stored in boxes,just in case i ever decide to sell,which is highly unlikely...
Altogether there is approx 40 ft of hose when you put them end to end !

Cheers!
Phil
Old 05-10-2011, 11:03 AM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine didn't work when I got the car.
It might have just needed a charge, might have been something more, but I didn't want to get into it, and would rather have the open space in the engine bay.
I pulled all mine out a couple of months back, and have no intent on putting it back in.
I don't plan on selling the car, so I'm not concerned about the negative impact for a potential buyer.
If I was planning on selling, I would have left the non-functional system in place.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:45 AM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 56 Posts

We removed the A/C system (and the heater blower) when my brother and I did the widebody conversion last year. I bought the car 10+ years ago and finally came to the realization that having effective A/C was an exercise in futility unless large amounts cash were spent on aftermarket upgrades to the system. Since the car is a weekend toy these days, it was decided to delete the system altogether and I am very pleased with the results. Valve adjustments are SO much easier and the engine compartment looks much better as well.

My ex-'89 also had lousy, ineffective A/C. Porsche didn't have a decent OEM system until the 964 arrived.

Interestingly, I bought a new 911 in 1974 that had dealer installed aftermarket A/C that actually worked quite well and it didn't even have a front condenser. This relatively uncomplicated system utilized one of those old style York piston-type compressors like the ones on Ford cars and pickup trucks of the period. I was living in Florida at the time and this system would freeze you out.

BTW, the heater works fine without the blower.

Last edited by jackb911; 05-10-2011 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:34 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

+another from the sunny south that pulled it. as Jack stated above it never seemed to get it and so when I was doing resto I pulled it. Spent a few hundred on Nike dryfit shirts for the weekend, works well
Old 05-10-2011, 05:18 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've considered this,..but having kept this babe factory (aside from headlite relays and fusing the dash circuits). So far, I've decided to keeo her completely original,..I've not concerns with weight nor track improvements. Maybe (one day), I'll splurge for the AC upgrade and have a comfi' cabin......for now, she's to be kept original. Just my call....(for now).

If I were to be tracking this babe, all of that weight would certainly "go".....

BEST!

Doyle
Old 05-17-2011, 08:52 PM
Koizumi
5th Gear

I've been looking for an SC or 3.2 for a couple of years now and the 3 that I liked had A/C delete. I would prefer to delete it myself (having the option). Either way, I need A/C.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:22 PM
StanV
Instructor

Bought my '82 in 2000, with the A/C not working then. Don't have much need for it, also don't track the car (occasional autocross, though). After a couple of years had it looked at - the compressor was seized, and was also told that an upgrade to a functioning R134 system would require new hoses anyway. Didn't check into that, but did remove the system, carefully boxing all parts for any subsequent owner should they want them.
IMHO, anyone looking for an '80's 911 whose "must-have" list includes cool-blowing A/C, has already narrowed their selection of cars dramatically ;-)
Old 05-18-2011, 11:44 PM
Naitove
Instructor

I pulled mine a few years ago. I only left the blower for humid days. The engine compartment is a joy, and since I only drive the car occasionally, I don't miss it at all. I also backdated the heater and got rid of the engine compartment blower. Love it!

Quick Reply: upside/downside to a/c delete