DOW CORNING RTV 730

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 03:51 AM
VELOCE
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post DOW CORNING RTV 730

HELLO
I have a tube of DOW CORNING RTV 730 that I PURCHASED NEW in APRIL 2001. I have used appox. 20% of it at that time and have kept in in my FRIDGE in my shop since. The EXPIRATION DATE is / was JAN 02. It still looks fine with no dryness or hardening. I called DOW TODAY and talked to TECH. SUPPORT and was told that DOW would not honor any warranty because of the expiration date BUT they said that since I kept it in a cool dry place it may still be good. They also suggested I do a "TRIAL RUN" which I am in agreement with.

The supplier I use has some on order and I can get a fresh tube by next week. At $ 50.00 MY COST for the same 3 OZ. TUBE. I am doing a TOP END/VALVE JOB on a 2.7 LITER CUSTOMER's 76 911 and I want the job to be perfect. I hate to " PITCH " the old tube. And saving $ 50.00 is not a bad idea either. But if I have to I WILL.

My QUESTION is HAS ANY ONE USED DOW 730 UNDER SIMILAR CIRCUMSTANCES ? JERRY WOODS / BRUCE ANDERSON are RIGHT, this stuff work GREAT. The 70 911 E 2.2 LITER I did [ when I first used this same tube of 730 ]is still " DRY ". I still plan a " TRIAL RUN " before I start assembly BUT I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR COMMENTS FROM OTHER MEMBERS.

THANKS
REGARDS
ALAN
ITALIA AUTOMOBILI
Old 06-12-2003, 05:09 PM
MRFLATSIX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Alan:
I used DC 730 on the exact same engine as you did, my '70 911E, on the advice of Bruce and Jerry.I understand it was developed for the 935 engine. It's been about 4 years now and I have no leaks at all.A lot of these engines will leak from the cam towers,and mine is completely dry.The only problem with this stuff is there is NO SOLVENT FOR IT.once it's on there you can't get it off without scrapng so you have to be very carefull.I did not know there was an expiration date,but if it looks good I think I might be tempted to use it.As you said some kind of trial run might be a good idea. Good luck

Quick Reply: DOW CORNING RTV 730