Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Oh no..the Clutch!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2002, 08:46 PM
Lomaric
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Oh no..the Clutch!

ok guys here is one for you. I just bought a 1975 911S silver ann and pretty much bought the car as a project to re-indroduce myself to the joys of mechanicing, well when I bought the car the the clutch felt very stiff and hard to press in but after reading the articles on here on other places I assumed it might be something as easy as a clutch pedal spring. After climbing under the car I realized that the clutch cable adjustment at the tranny is all the way adjusted in, so I am thinking at this point perhaps the cable has been over streched my the super ammount of force I exert on the clutch pedal. Then it happened while pressing in the clutch to disengage the engine there was a pop sound and the pedal pretty much stopped working (wont disengage), so after inspection I realized the force of my foot partly broke the pedal and it looks like it has been done before (weld beads). My big question is how much movement should there be on the release fork at the transmission and should I be able to move it by hand? Also is it possible to seperate the transmission from the engine while the engine is still in the car? Any suggestions on what the hell is going on would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-29-2002, 05:08 PM
john walkers workshop
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
as the disc wears out, the pedal gets stiffer. quite hard to push. the cable can offer resistance too. remove the cable and slide it in and out by hand. see if the cable sheath is properly attached over the tube coming out of the firewall. if it wasn't installed over the tube, the cable can drag there. i would bet your clutch is simply worn out. being the pedal has been previously welded, it should be replaced.

Quick Reply: Oh no..the Clutch!