Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2002, 06:00 PM
5p1d3r
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Loss of power and oil in the exhaust

I have an 87 cab.

scenario:
I had noticed in the prior week a mechanical noise coming from what seemed to be my valves. It only occured in the 3000 - 3500 rpm band then disapeared. I was driving on the freeway when the noise went away "my passenger said see it fixed itself.." "Yeah Right!" Now I have smoke while not alot, there is completely too much oil in the exhaust manifold (any is too much ) and I have alot. My oil consumption is outrageous and I am experiencing rough idle and a tremendous loss in power.

I called the truck (first time I have ever had to do that in a 911) and it is now sitting at home .

Any Ideas as to the root of my problem would be greatly appreciated. I am leaning toward a bent valve but have not expierienced one before.

I don't think this is related because the original noise was present prior to this but, I replaced the fuel pump the day before.

Thanks in advance
Old 10-29-2002, 07:55 PM
5p1d3r
3rd Gear

If there is anyone who could offer a reply I would really appreciate it.
Old 10-29-2002, 08:47 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

I have no experience with this on a 911, on another car it was indicative of worn valve guides and in need of new seals. If you are adept at minor maintenance, pull your spark plugs and see if one or many are oil soaked. Check your compression (or do leak-down). leak-down is pretty easy to do if you have a compressor. Pull your valve covers and see if you can move the valve stem laterally (worn guides). If guides and seals are bad, engine will suck oil past the valve guides on decel.

The ultimate result of worn guides is a valve will become cocked in the guide, hang up, impact the piston, break off and become munchies for that cylinder. [Expensive Huffaker motor became junk in a heart-beat]
Old 10-30-2002, 01:21 PM
5p1d3r
3rd Gear

Thanks for your reply. I will pull the plugs this weekend and check them. I don't hear any mechanical noises. But there is alot of oil in the exhaust manifold and pipe.

Quick Reply: Loss of power and oil in the exhaust