Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Oil level, time to add yet ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2002, 12:23 PM
Jerry911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Oil level, time to add yet ?

currently running 20w50 oil, noticed for the first time oil level dropped, in the middle between the 2 marks. (about 1.5K since change) Should I add now or wait until hits bottom mark, if so how much. Will be leaving car sit most of winter, except for maybe a warm day. Normal winter temp 30ish, might take her out if breaks 50. Should I put in a lighter weight oil?

Thanks 4 your help
Old 10-28-2002, 04:11 PM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi,

I keep my cars oil level between the midle and bottom mark of the dip stick. For me, due to valve guide leaks, I add oil every 150-300 miles. I have not seen a problem in pressure using these guide lines. I am reluctant to fill to top mark as there is a chence of sloshing oil through the breather line into the air box. I have already cleaned up one of these messes (left for my by PO) and do not wish a repeat. Remeber, at teh add mark, you still have 9+ quarts of oil in the car.
Old 10-28-2002, 06:49 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I keep oil level between 1/3 and 2/3 way between the lower and upper marks, and add a half quart or so when it gets down to 1/3 the way from lower to upper mark. Most will say that filling to the upper mark is too full. You and I share somewhat similar temp ranges in winter, and I also run 20w50 and retain it through the winter, although a somewhat thinner oil would be better.

Quick Reply: Oil level, time to add yet ?