Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Cleaning solvent for a sticky distibutor ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2002, 01:34 PM
RickKlem
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Cleaning solvent for a sticky distibutor ??

After removing my dist cap I have found that my distributor is dirty and the vacuum advance is sticking causing it hard to set the timing.

What can I use to clean out this area without removing everything? Is a solvent that will not damage the electronics of this area or should I take it to a shop to have it cleaned and or rebuilt?

Thanks
Rcik
1977 911s 2.7
Old 02-17-2002, 10:23 AM
Sean Hamilton
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use a pressure can CRC product by the name of CO CONTACT CLEANER. An inert high purity precision electronic cleaning solvent that leaves no residue, contains no lubricants, is low in toxicity, and is plastic safe. It completely evaporates and will not stain.

Cheers,
Sean.
1980 Hellblaumetallic SC Targa.
Old 02-17-2002, 01:59 PM
Roland Kunz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello

Waterfree alcahol or solvents like Methylenchlorid are the best as they will not harm electrics even flooded.

BTW your 77 should have a mechanical breaker contact.

Bosch has a special grease for the sliding plate and the fullcrum wights needs special grease as well plus regular drop of oil.

Check if the fullcrum wights work in the factory specs and also if the vacuum canister works within range. If not then its time to pull the complete unit and go trough it. If the bushings are worn or you reach your own limit ( skill or toolwise ) a prof will be needed.

Grüsse

Quick Reply: Cleaning solvent for a sticky distibutor ??