Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Long distance transaction - should I? How?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 01:56 AM
ruflife
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just did the same . ( bought a 1986 911 tl in FL and had it shipped to MO ) . Have the PPI done. The transporters are always the issue for me. The brokers are pretty much a pain in the a**. I've shipped about 10 cars from different places and every time till the last had issues. Call Transport Connection. The guy who owns it stands behind what he says and puts you in on a conference call with the trucking company and the driver so you can coordinate the pick up and drop off times. I went through 2 different companies on the last one before I went to them. The PO was getting rather irritated with the other companies making appts to pick up the car and not showing. The money transfer issue always seems to be a headache also. Escrow is always best and don't bend on that point. Just my opinion.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:55 PM
Billm
Advanced

i bought mine via distance to. Asked the PO whi his regulr mechanic was and then chose another one to do the PPI. I then picked it up in person and drove it home raher than shipping since I was there anyway :-) . I agree with all the others who say make sure you get the PPI!
Old 04-23-2011, 11:42 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always ship enclosed!

Doyle
Old 04-24-2011, 11:03 AM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Reliable is who advertises in Excellence.

http://www.reliable-carriers.com/default.cfm

I'd drive it back...but I love road trips.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:59 PM
rfoxdvm
Intermediate

We have a deal!!! 1989 911, grey on grey, ~100K miles, very clean carfax report. Looks very clean inside and out, seller sounds very, very legit. PPI is this week, probably ship it next week. I'll do enclosed but I'm getting multiple quotes now.

Thanks, everybody, for all the advice. I, of course, would love to drive it back, but as I said with a 10 month old baby and balancing a busy career, that's not possible right now.

Rob
Attached Images  
Old 05-12-2011, 02:05 PM
jclanin
Rennlist Member

Love the car - great find!
Old 05-12-2011, 07:24 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Congratulations. Hopefully the PPI is favorable. Once you take possession .. you got Fuch it.

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 05-12-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:34 PM
brass4321
Racer

Default Updates?

Any updates? I'm in a similar position as I live in Miami Beach and have been eyeing a '77 911s in California. I am confident enough that there are places nearby for the PPI but I'm not sure if I want to spend the $400-500 just based on a few pics and email exchanges. Then flying over and driving it back or having it shipped all sounds like such an ordeal, particularly doing it around work. I'd love the car but I'm feeling a bit gun shy. I bought a '95 Range Rover Classic sight unseen on eBay back in '02 and had it shipped down without ever flying up to meet with the seller; it worked out great but I was younger and dumber then...
Old 05-16-2011, 10:32 PM
rfoxdvm
Intermediate

Default Update

I have the car. While the PPI was very helpful, and they seemed to do a very thorough inspection, it cannot convey a simple walk-around by the buyer. They did spend a lot of time telling me about an oil leak that was 2 drops every 15 minutes, but managed to miss some obvious flaws - stone chips, degraded door seals, etc.

I wouldn't have expected them to find this, but there is also a leak into the cabin when it rains.

Overall, I would have purchased the car anyway, but it would have been nice to see it in person. Also, everything said and done, by the time I paid for PPI and shipping, I probably paid too much for this car. Doesn't matter, I'm in love.

Anyway, I was unable to travel / drive back, and was not having luck finding a car locally. I would advise those in a similar situation to go ahead with a long distance transaction.

As far as the Fuchs, I've already decided to try and find a set of 16x7 and 16x8.

Thanks,
Rob

Quick Reply: Long distance transaction - should I? How?