Door issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 12:39 AM
_Remi
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Door issue

Hi,

I have an issue with my 84 and I don't know how to call it (non native speaker but love for 911 is international )

Basically the door does not have an intermediate open position. All the other cars I know stop halfway first and you can open more if needed. Mine opens all the way right away, it is asking for dents

What is the name of the part I need to change?

Thanks,
Old 04-20-2011, 12:56 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've seen them called "door check", or "door stay". Before ordering a new one, carefully examine the door metal around your old one, to see if the door frame is torn away. If there is damage in that area, then the door should really be fixed first. A new door stay might need the plastic detent to be filed down quite a lot, or it might rip the repaired door apart.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:07 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,101 Likes on 786 Posts

I would highly recomend the door stay re-enforcement kit from pelican or some other vendors. not sure who else carries them.
I did this on my car as the metal actually was begining to tear as Russ points out. If this is the case I would actually NOT recomend welding, Welding it will leave a bead than can not be grinded down due to access issues. This has to be flat for the re-enforcement kit to be effective. Basically you are sandwhiching the metal between 2 pieces of steel.

Beteween the kit and the stay you should be fine .
Old 04-21-2011, 08:39 AM
Billm
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got any pics of this repair ... Before and after preferably?

Quick Reply: Door issue