Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

To Clutch or not to Clutch -- Noisy new clutch on an "87

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2002 | 06:24 AM
Michael H
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post To Clutch or not to Clutch -- Noisy new clutch on an "87

Quicksilver made some interesting points in a post on my rebuild experience 911 3.2 1987 with 100k ---

Quicksilver posted 10-27-2002
--------------------------------------------------
At the beginning of this thread you said "... I can still hear noise when the clutch is disengaged...". The G50 release fork problem and upgrade doesn't effect any noises in the car. The G50 is kind of noisy especially if you lug the motor under 2500. The rattles at idle also. If they were really nice and gave you the clubsport disc, instead of the rubber sprung stock disk, it will make even more noise.
The only issue that the release fork upgrade addresses is the binding of the linkage. You can easily tell if the upgrade was done on the car by pulling out the plastic plug retaining the cross shaft and measuring its diameter.

The only real question here is, is it binding?. If it is stiff but smooth across its range of motion then it is ok. If it is binding and unsmooth then there is a problem. Even the upgraded shaft can bind. My 87 would seize 2/3s through the peddle throw. It had the upgrade needed to be relubed (with a better lube!).

-------------------------------------------------

The clutch pedal action is smooth but stiff. The clutch is quite noisy at idle when disengaged -- didn't actually hear it at all with the original clutch at 100,000 miles -- the mechanic said the original was completely shot!

So my questions are: How important is it to have the clutch upgrade / release fork problem fixed on my 87 3.2? Does anyone have any experience with noisy new clutches and what did you do about it?

Quick Reply: To Clutch or not to Clutch -- Noisy new clutch on an "87