Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Car Won't Shut Off

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 03:22 PM
jtilden
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car Won't Shut Off

While I was away in Iraq my wife tells me the battery in my 911 SC is dead, I find it odd so I purchase one of those cigarette lighter chargers and have her install it. I check back in a few days and still no power. Once I got home last week I decide to replace the battery and be done with it. Car starts and runs perfectly but once I turn it off, I find that I can’t, it keeps on idling. I am assuming this is a faulty switch? Has anyone experienced this particular fault and if so what all did you replace?
Old 04-14-2011, 03:53 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

II have not, but often times a bad ignition switch is accompanied by weird windows, and lights, since the contacts no longer line up. You can try pulling forward on the electrical cylinder, or move it around.

But also, I wonder if there is a stuck relay, since you mention battery drain? See if tou can measure amperage draw at the battery, between the cable and the battery post.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:26 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jtilden
While I was away in Iraq my wife tells me the battery in my 911 SC is dead, I find it odd so I purchase one of those cigarette lighter chargers and have her install it. I check back in a few days and still no power. Once I got home last week I decide to replace the battery and be done with it. Car starts and runs perfectly but once I turn it off, I find that I can’t, it keeps on idling. I am assuming this is a faulty switch? Has anyone experienced this particular fault and if so what all did you replace?
The cigarette lighter is on the "load" side of the ignition switch, unplug the charger and the engine will quit. It didn't charge the battery because the switch wasn't turned on.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:21 PM
jtilden
Racer

i replaced to electrical switch portion today and still no luck. The accessory part of the ignition is now off, which means my battery won't die anymore, but now I can not start it. There is no longer a spring action when you turn the key all the way to the right. Is there a certain way to install the switch? I used the 101 projects as a reference. I did discover that when I use a screw driver on the old and new electrical portion the car starts just fine. I think it's the mechanical portion but want to make absolutely sure before I plunk down almost $700 for a complete unit.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:00 PM
jtilden
Racer

Could anyone confirm that the steering wheel lock on the mechanical portion of the ignition switch is supposed to extend and retract when I turn the key? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:46 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, it does extend and retract, but something is binding on yours. Perhaps the little allen stud and nut at the steering column lock is not installed? I would take the mechanical and electrical portions both out, set them on the bench, and get everything right, then re-install. You might remove the driver's seat.

Quick Reply: Car Won't Shut Off