Shift linkage broken

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 03:42 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,135 Likes on 811 Posts
Default Shift linkage broken

Hey guys

Remember i was helping that guy out last year with his Carrera ?
Anyway we decide to go to out first meet for the spring, we get about 5 minutes from my house and he pulls to the side of the road .. can't get it in or out of any gear. i quickly whip off the inspection plate between the two rear seats , have him move the shifter and the rod doesn't even move. i tell him he should be relieved as the problem is at the cheap end of the car.

Pretty obvious there s a pivot pin or assmly busted ) hopefully just the ball on the end of the shifter . What i can't remember if the pivot point is on the gear shifter assm or the rod in the tunnel.

If its the rod in the tunnel may be a bit more of an issue coz whene i did mine there was no way I was getting that rod out. Anubody have success in getting that rod out ? and if so how .

Thanks guys /

Biggest problem may be the momo shift **** on his car . Looks like a collar unscrews from the bottom. once i removed the collar i noticed a small allen key holding it to the gear shifter. Some moron used red loctite instead of blue ..

red loctatie is remove with heat .. of course melting the ****.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:16 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The shifter pivots at the top where it all bolts together, above the ball. Should be a square piece with the pivot pin going thru it and the shifter.
I have a collection of spare shifter assemblies from all the short shift kits I installed against my recommendation. I'm not sure if I have the pin itself(held with snap rings) as that is reused IIRC, but the rest I probably can find PM me if you think you need any parts. Do the ball-socket busing while you're in there and the rod bushing that isolates the shift rod just under and behind the shifter "hole" in the tunnel.
I can't think of any reason to get the shift rod out of the car if it's a simple shifter issue.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:27 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Other than the set screw, the 911 gods should be with him as whale points out. I've never heard of a rod breaking, although one can never say never.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:59 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I think they build the car around that rod.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:26 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
I think they build the car around that rod.
Yea. I picture the factory handing a shift rod to an intern and saying "hold this" while they start building the car around it.
I've never seen a damaged shift rod. It even "necks down" at the shifter end so you can replace the bushing.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:47 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, the engine has to come out for the rod to be removed. The cup is held on with a setscrew, and the shifter housing holds the shift pivot pin, which looks like a rollpin, and a thrust bolt thingy on the other side.

Most likely small fix. Good time to change the shift bushings. I too have spare shifter parts.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:59 AM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What year Carrera? If it 86 or prior, it has the 915 tranny and your description fits. Ed and Rusnak are spot on. If it's an 87-89 Carrera, it has the G50 and really has no problems except in the shifter assy up from. On the G50, that entire rod assy is solid from the front of the shift rod to the input shaft of the tranny. I'm assuming it is a 915.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:15 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Ron, we're just shooting from the hip like a bunch of monkeys on meth. Those little details don't really matter lol
Old 04-11-2011, 11:21 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Here are a few diagrams to help.

The first is for a 915 and the second is for a G50
Attached Images   
Old 04-11-2011, 11:47 AM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whalebird, I understand. Just trying to provide info.

spider911
Old 04-11-2011, 11:49 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Good info indeed.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:37 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ah, yes. Ron and Scott are correct of course!

I assumed from the description of a setscrew that the **** is held on from the side, replacing the crysh sleeve. Not from the top G-50 style. But that's an erroneous assumption because the aftermarket does not care, lol!!
Old 04-11-2011, 03:44 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

okay here is the verdict.....

Firstly my information needs to be corrected . it is in fact a 1978 SC . The reason i misposke and said Carrera is because he has a 3.2 litre in the car ..

Anyway the verdict is .... broken shift rod where the end at the front of the car goes into a little cup ( 24 in the pic)

If you look at the rod there is a piece rivited and welded in the end of the holow tube . That piece was literally torn out of the tube.

Getting the tube out was a nightmare and i had the same thoughts when i did mine that they built the whole car around that tube.

We ended up moving it as far forward is we could . taking out the e brake and heater assembly , and pulling the end up and pulling it back again . pulling out a jammed rod covered in greas is not easy . We did eventually get it out . I have no idea how we are getting it back in as it is a tiny bit longer once it will be repaired. Wish i hat got a pic now since you guys feel this is quite rare.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:21 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Holy cow...Thats a new one on me.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:28 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

yeah it was torn out pretty good, but it looks repairable for a good welder. Of which im not so i told hm to get it fixed or replaced and i would help him put it all back together

Quick Reply: Shift linkage broken