Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Another Compression Question Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 06:20 PM
hopeforcash
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Compression Question Help!

Looking at a 1988 911 Targa and the PPI shows the following..

1 165/185 9%
2 165/185 8%
3 165/185 10%
4 165/185 10%
5 165/185 11%
6 165/185 8%

The indy said the engine was good and the expensive stuff was still good. Do these numbers look good? As I search, past questions have %ages that are lower. Is lower better? Are these acceptable?

OTT:

The targa top has excessive wind noise ini the front left side. The owner states it does not leak. PPI did not water test. Is this an easy fix or not?

New new tires and AC does not work.

Otherwise, the car looks great and the Indy said it was well preserved. The milage is 137,000 km or 85,000 miles

Any comments are appreciated
Old 04-09-2011, 12:52 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...ck-please.html
Old 04-09-2011, 09:44 AM
hopeforcash
Instructor

Thanks for the link.

Any comments as to whether the targa wind noise is a potential major or minor concern? Or if there is a known easy fix? The roof appears to be firmly attached and has been recovered with canvas (much like the convertible top material).
Old 04-09-2011, 10:44 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Wind noise is typically a result of a mis-aligned top or the vinyl shell has not been properly attached to the frame.

Both should be easy fixes as long as the frame is not bent or tweaked.

Take the top off and make sure the clips attached to the vinyl section are all securely attached to the folding frame. Also, check the fit along the windshield frame. If the top sits too high then you will need to adjust the latch point down a bit.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:53 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Comp/leak figures are presumably fine, but inconclusive. Motor is most likely just fine.
Porsche issued a TSB concerning wind/water leaks. It read something to the effect that: "by virtue of having no roof on the car, you may experience the elements entering the cockpit". A little adjustment may well remedy the wind noise. Cabs and Targas often have a misalignment at the front/drivers side from a fat-*** owner who always grabs the top windshield/ A-pillar when getting in or out of the car. A targa/cab should only be considered if open driving is a priority, or you don't care how tight they are when all buttoned up. They are never going to be coupe-like perfect.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:20 PM
hopeforcash
Instructor

Thanks for the reply. most likely the owner must be grabbing the top windshield going in and out as he says he mostly drives it with the roof off and he would be considered a large guy. Therefore he didn't mind that the AC did not work either.

I guess if the roof is still waterproof, I can get use to the wind noise if I can't fix it. (Am I convincing myself?)

Ultimate preference would be a coupe for me (as I already have a Cab), but every hard to find and also to find one within the price range and condition of this one

Quick Reply: Another Compression Question Help!