Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Converting from 996 Mk2 to SC.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 12:59 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fan of F1
Thanks. Glad to be hear. I now am living in Newport Beach, CA and have been attending Cars & Coffee in Irvine the past month or so.
Would have definitely noticed the car if you'd been there a week ago Saturday (or maybe you left when the rain hit). I found a Weissach for a girlfriend about 15 years ago, then bought the salvage off of her when it took a light rear hit. Neighbor owns it now, though the rear spoiler was lost for good in the crash.

Originally Posted by Billm
Not to hijack the thread, but do you folks in California know of any Porsche or other car events in the Sonoma Valley area May 13-16 or so? my wife and I are heading that way for a few days of r&r and what better way to r&r than at a car event?

Bill
I'd say we could make our own, but we're heading back East for a week the day you arrive.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:36 AM
Fan of F1
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I did not go that day race911 because it looked like rain all day. I wonder of the 400 Weissachs made, how many have survived and are on the road in anything approaching stock. The one that I bought is still 100% stock with the exception of a newer Blaupunkt radio that matches the interior nicely. The owner that I bought it from has had the car for the last 20 years and has taken meticulous care of it. Anyway, I know that the Weissachs do not really command a premium, but I like having something a bit unique.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:45 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks. Glad to be hear. I now am living in Newport Beach, CA and have been attending Cars & Coffee in Irvine the past month or so. Late models Porsches, as well as anything else you can thin of, are common out here. I find myself on Saturdays spending all my time looking at the great older models from Porsche, Alfa, BMW 2002tii, etc. So I decided that rather than remain just one in the sea of late model, nice cars that I would buy something that really is interesting and appealing to me for the reasons I stated in the earlier post.
I am planning to use this as a daily driver, rain or shine. Any advice that all of you would give me in order to make this transition from a late model car to a 1980 SC a smooth one. I am really looking forward to the change.
Join the club! I was the same way, but I decided to full-retro and build to suit.

Originally Posted by ivangene
came from 996... would not go back... the early cars are too much fun!

(might drive a late car if I had multiple cars, but not as my only one - right now)
Man you love to throw the 996 under the bus eh?
Old 03-30-2011, 03:05 AM
Fan of F1
Advanced

@Eharrison...do you drive your 71' as a daily driver? Ever go to Cars & Coffee? Be great to catch up with fellow Rennlist members there.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:07 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

@Eharrison...do you drive your 71' as a daily driver? Ever go to Cars & Coffee? Be great to catch up with fellow Rennlist members there.
Oh, it's going to be a while before I get to drive it!

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...-of-heart.html
Old 03-30-2011, 11:39 AM
Fan of F1
Advanced

Well, good luck with your project. That looks like a lot of work, but I am sure it will be very rewarding when it is complete.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:01 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 130 Posts

Just don't go and try to put coolant into it!

Last edited by Edgy01; 03-30-2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:32 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ivangene
came from 996... would not go back... the early cars are too much fun!

(might drive a late car if I had multiple cars, but not as my only one - right now)
Elitiest...
Old 03-30-2011, 12:57 PM
911sccab
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

I am actually planning to attend Hershey for the fist time in about 8 years.
Hershey? That's where we bought our '83 SC Cab 10 years ago!

I believe the newer cars are better in many aspects, but those aspects aren't so important to me. Seeing the 911 has been in our stable for a decade now, friends will occassionally ask if we plan to upgrade it. "Update" you mean... I'm not sure a newer one would be an "upgrade" for our purposes. And the answer is "no".

Driving our older 911 is a delicious experience. I suppose it has a radio, but there's no need for it... the horizontally opposed air-cooled symphony is wonderful. Once you learn how to dance with it, the 915 is a very willing partner. I know our station wagon will out run it in a straight line, but that's completely irrelevant to my enjoyment of the driving experience.

Keep the flash alive!
Old 03-30-2011, 01:08 PM
Fan of F1
Advanced

I agree 911sccab. Newer does not always mean better.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:03 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 911sccab
Hershey? That's where we bought our '83 SC Cab 10 years ago!

I believe the newer cars are better in many aspects, but those aspects aren't so important to me. Seeing the 911 has been in our stable for a decade now, friends will occassionally ask if we plan to upgrade it. "Update" you mean... I'm not sure a newer one would be an "upgrade" for our purposes. And the answer is "no".

Driving our older 911 is a delicious experience. I suppose it has a radio, but there's no need for it... the horizontally opposed air-cooled symphony is wonderful. Once you learn how to dance with it, the 915 is a very willing partner. I know our station wagon will out run it in a straight line, but that's completely irrelevant to my enjoyment of the driving experience.

Keep the flash alive!
+1. The longest 911 (or any car) ownership tenure for me is a an SC cab - 9.5 years. All others averaged less than 2.5 years in tenure. Replacing it took a while; it was only sold for a more practical 911 coupe when I relocated to a more snowy climate in the midwest and started using a 911 as a daily driver. Great memories with the SC cab...

If I were to have a 911 as a tertiary car i.e. non-daily driver, I would certainly own an early model (same vintage to the 69 and 72 I owned in the early 90s) preferably with period race history. Yes, newer doesn't necessarily equal upgrade.

Having said this, I find that the newer H20 models make for a great daily driver without too much worry to park and drive anywhere - a value all in its own.

To the OP, I'm glad you are able to experience different vintages of 911s. Enjoy!
Old 03-30-2011, 05:22 PM
Fan of F1
Advanced

Thanks mclaudio.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:53 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went back to an SC after having a 996 and a Boxster, but not because I don't like the newer cars, I DO. But you're right in that the older 911s are just more fun to drive. I sold my 996 but use the Boxster as my DD. The Weissach has collector insurance and can't be driven to work anyway, and I'm too spoiled to drive in the South without modern AC. If I could have only one Porsche I'm not sure what I would keep, but I can't see myself not having a 911. I really want the SC flatnose conversion in my avatar and it is available for sale, but the price is just too steep for now. I would have to sell the Weissach and at least one more car to cover the guy's asking price.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:30 PM
Fan of F1
Advanced

I agree smshirk. I liked my Boxster, Mk1 996 and Mk2 996 as cars. Certainly better than most other choices in automobile. They just became transportation to me after awhile and I wanted to get back that special feeling that just seems to be there when I drive the earlier cars.

Not sure it matters as I plan to drive the Weissach every day, but who do you insure through and for how much? I at least want to get stated value insurance to ensure that I do not get book value if something where to happen.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-31-2011, 04:52 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,114 Likes on 417 Posts

OP, congrats on your new SC. She looks nice. I like that color. It sounds like we have similar sentiments. All of my cars keep getting older and older. The list of some of the mistresses is below in chron order from most recent to oldest in ownership. I daily my SC and get a thrill getting into the driver seat every time. Enjoy the miles. I'm sure you will.

I plan on installing SSIs and a new exhaust soon. Supposedly you will get a good bang for the buck with this mod on the SC's based on what I've read and been told. Cheers. Jim

1998 BMW M3 Dinan supercharged
1994 964 C4 widebody
1999 BMW M3 coupe
1991 BMW 325iS
1998 BMW M3 4-dr
2000 Jetta VR6

Quick Reply: Converting from 996 Mk2 to SC.