Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Turbo valve cover upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2002, 08:43 PM
snakepitt1
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Post Turbo valve cover upgrade

I am going to be upgrading my 1973 911T 2.4L MFI engine with a set of Turbo valve covers this weekend. I know I have to drain the oil out of the engine, but, my question is this: If I drain the oil from the engine, will the oil in the tank drain as well? How much oil should I expect to get out of the engine? I know that what comes out has to go back in. I am also going to check the valves at the same time. Any tips to make the upgrade easier? I'm using the better silicone beaded gaskets.
Old 02-14-2002, 09:09 PM
Clark Griswald
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The oil in the tank SLOWLY seeps back into the case. This is because it has to find its way through the pump impellers. So if you drain the case you will find that the tank is still full.

The case is lower than the valve covers, so technically, you don't have to drain the oil to do the job. But it is a good idea since the tank oil will eventually find its way out, and since this is your first time it may take you awhile.

Do adjust your valves and check the guides for wear, and head studs for proper torque. Do some searching to find the proper ways to perform these tasks if you don't already know. You must have the special tool for valve adjusting.

and plan on 4+ hours of symbiosis with your car.
Old 02-14-2002, 09:29 PM
snakepitt1
Racer

Okay, so when I drain the oil from the case. Finish the job (I do have the valve adjustment tool) and refill with new oil. I just refil into the oil tank? Won't the tank still be full? It almost sounds like you have to restart the engine dry inorder to get oil from the tank back into the case. I'm probably WAY off in this, but this is the first 911 I have ever owned. Until now it was always muscle cars.
Old 02-15-2002, 01:24 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You have two options, (1.)When you complete the job and put oil back in the engine, you need to estimate how much you drained. On my 69T, It generally drained about 3-4 quarts. I suggest putting 3 quarts in the tank, start it up, get it to operating temperature (190+ F) and check the level in the tank. Level should be about mid-length on the dipstick. If you are at the interval for an oil change (3,000 mi), the other option is to completely drain the oil in the tank and the case and start from scratch and fill accorging to the owners manual.

Spider911
88 Carrera
Old 02-16-2002, 01:51 AM
snakepitt1
Racer

Thanks for the info. I'm going to replace the exhaust valve covers tomorrow. I'll head out and pick up 4 or 5 quarts of oil to be on the safe side.

Scott 1973 911T targa 2.4L MFI

Quick Reply: Turbo valve cover upgrade