Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1976 Porsche TL

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 04:55 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1976 Porsche TL

Hey Guys...would like some help on this. Sadly, although I live in Houston, I am currently in Iowa helping my father through his cancer 'salvage' treatment and I am unable to go view this car....so, I am hoping I can disect it a bit futher (with any help from you all) before I call this guy.

1976 Porsche TL

This car is probably about as close to what I am looking for that I've seen and its in my neck of the woods, so I have fair amount of interest in her.

The first thing to comes to my mind is that this guy is calling this an SC when in fact its pre-SC era. The good thing (performance/reliability wise) is that he has an SC engine in it. I guess my question is, are there some glaring things wrong with this car that my untrained eye is missing.....of course if I got excited about it a PPI. compression/leakdown would be in order. Also, the price appears quite high compared to what I've seen on EBAY and elsewhere. Since I live in Houston I could easily knock off 1100 or so since he is offering free shipping..

Anyhow, just looking for some ammo to talk to this guy about....TIA
Old 03-25-2011, 05:27 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Thats a pretty car. The front lid sticks up, the driver's window seal looks a little fummed up and there looks to be recent spray on the front undercarriage-it doesn't blend well. Other than that, a good PPI should tell the story. If you shaved some money off and it checks out, it could be a nice deal.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:03 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Altogether, not a bad looking car. The quality of work, and completeness of the TL conversion would be up to the shop doing the PPI; the ad is written poorly by someone who knows little about the car.
The power seats had to be wired into the 76 chassis, so I would want to know how well that was done.
Appears to have Koni shocks (at least orange painted struts), and are the recently replaced rears the same (koni)? The undercoating around the tank that Ed pointed out may have been done when the tank was out; does it mean a rusty front pan was replaced? or just cleaned up.
Another thing to identify would be if the wheels are real Fuchs and if the correct spacers were use to fit them. Stock brakes? 76 did not have "power" brakes, so larger wheels (especially fake Fuchs which are HEAVY) will make slowing the car down a chore (as well as steering and accelerating).
Didn't notice myself if it has adjustable rear spring plates. That could be nice.
It will be interesting to see what the guys here at RL come up with.
Hang in there with your Dad, I'm sure you being there is a huge comfort for him.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:01 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Um, someone correct me if I'm wrong but 6400134 on a mag case crankcase is a 914-6 engine? He says it's a 3.0. A 914-6 engine would have started out as a 2.0l. Get a build sheet on that engine if you start talking to the guy...
Old 03-25-2011, 07:16 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

That hood looks horrible. It looks a bit banged up on stage right in the picture. What's holding the spare down? Where's the tool kit and the compressor?
Attached Images  
Old 03-26-2011, 01:17 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Along with the front lid, the driver's side front fender is tweaked.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:52 AM
tabasco
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
Um, someone correct me if I'm wrong but 6400134 on a mag case crankcase is a 914-6 engine? He says it's a 3.0. A 914-6 engine would have started out as a 2.0l. Get a build sheet on that engine if you start talking to the guy...
640 xxxx was also used for the 930.07 engines = 1980 911 SC USA.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:21 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Good ammo guys. The drivers fender is very clear now that its been pointed out. Also, the fact that the 1976 (not previously known by me) does not have power brakes is kind of a big deal I would think, after all I am wanting to drive this a fair amount.

Long ago, it was drilled into my head that it would be wise to buy from a Pelican or Rennlister and the closer I get to pulling the trigger, the more I GET that statement.

Thanks again.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:28 PM
tabasco
Instructor

Originally Posted by Shannon123
Good ammo guys. The drivers fender is very clear now that its been pointed out. Also, the fact that the 1976 (not previously known by me) does not have power brakes is kind of a big deal I would think, after all I am wanting to drive this a fair amount.

Long ago, it was drilled into my head that it would be wise to buy from a Pelican or Rennlister and the closer I get to pulling the trigger, the more I GET that statement.

Thanks again.
Don't be scared about non-power brakes !
I actually like them better than the power brakes.

It takes more effort, but these brakes can lock the wheels, even with race Hoosiers. The extra effort is weird when you come from a modern car, your first impression will be inefficient brakes, but they work just fine.

An extra advantage is simplicity. No vacuum line running all the way to the front, one less chance to have vacuum leaks !

I would never "upgrade" my non-power brakes !
Old 03-26-2011, 03:11 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by tabasco
640 xxxx was also used for the 930.07 engines = 1980 911 SC USA.
That's correct, but to me it looks like it's magnesium, which would not be used on a 930.07. Getting the seller to post more complete pictures of the engine, including the type number would resolve this quite easliy.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:10 PM
ruflife
Advanced

Hood is raised, more than likely, due to using a front end bra. Had to do it on my last 930 or the hood wouldn't latch.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:00 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Then he's lazy^^. I use a bra at the track and it only takes 45 seconds to adjust the latch each way.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:45 AM
tabasco
Instructor

Originally Posted by GTgears
That's correct, but to me it looks like it's magnesium, which would not be used on a 930.07. Getting the seller to post more complete pictures of the engine, including the type number would resolve this quite easliy.
Maybe it's just the picture that makes it look like magnesium.

It has the hard injection lines like the 80+ SC engines.
The tranny probably came with the engine too since it has the helper spring.
A 76 tranny would not have that.

I'm not familiar with cars with A/C but it may not be the factory A/C.
There's some kind of radiator in the left front fender. What's that ?
And with the factory A/C the front of the suspension pan would look different. Or they changed the front suspension pan and relocated some parts ?
Maybe it's more efficient that the stock AC which would be good for you.

The interior is also different from my 76 : center vent on the dash, shifter console. Did that come from an SC donor as well, or is it because it's an A/C car ?

BTW, the seller mentions 76, which is in line with the VIN number he mentions.
Maybe it's just me, but on the picture I read 9115200122 which would make it a 75...

If 75, it would not be galvanized (if that matters), the stock speedo would be mechanical and would have been converted to electronic if that's really an SC tranny.

It looks like they took a 75 or 76 tub and they put lots of SC parts on it, but I may be wrong.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:38 AM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Well.....the car was sold for 19k as shown in the Ebay completed listings today, however, I suspect Tabascos (at least some of them) inclinations were correct since the seller declined to comment on any of my questions I had sent him (twice). Thanks to all for the help in disecting the car so quickly, wish I had been in Houston at least to have seen it first hand.....nonetheless, time spent with my father at this point in time has far greater importance.

Quick Reply: 1976 Porsche TL