Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Taking my door apart. Help please.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 01:14 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 132 Posts

Taking a door apart on that era cars is a great exercise in learning how these things are put together. All you need is a bit of time, and a Phillips screwdriver, a couple of allen wrenches, and a good memory for remembering what goes back where. They're easier than you think.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:56 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the best adhesive to use to remount the barrier? I noticed that the factory barrier was far thicker than the set I had just rx'd. I had to work only on the door lock assembly and didn't remove the entire barrier,..just resealed. Now I need to go back in (something's NOW making a very slight rattle based on window position.....this time I plan to take it all off and freshen up (plastic parts included)..

Doyle
Old 03-30-2011, 06:21 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dshepp, I use a light coating of spray adhesive. Only coat one side, not the door and the plastic sheeting unless you want it to set up fairly rigid.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:30 AM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Scott- Thanks for the advice and diagram!

Paul- Will keep you posted.

Ron- I appreciate the part numbers.

I am hoping for some warmer weather this weekend that will allow me to get back out in the garage and get going on the door.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:32 AM
Joe6pack
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did my passenger door this weekend. The central locking worked, but the lock would spin well past where it should have stopped. I wound up pulling the handle out, disassembling and cleaning. I used double sided trim adhesive (Scotch VHB, 5 mil) for the vapor barrier. The spray adhesive is a good idea as well.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:51 AM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Well, I got the door apart without too much difficulty this weekend. Most of it was pretty intuitive. The hardest part was figuring out which plastic pieces unscrewed from the door and which ones had to be pryed out.

I found the broken piece in the locking mechanism but unfortunately was unable to find the repacement part on Pelican or Performance Products. Maybe someone can help. As Scott suggested, the broken part is indeed one of the plastic coupling bits. It is white in color and shaped like a socket joint (like the shoulder or hip) or, another way, like an ice cream scoop. It has internal threads down its long axis and screws onto a long metal piece in the door. Is this maybe a dealer item? Thanks.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:53 AM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Ron- I just reread your post. That's got to be it.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:42 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Just a quick update...while waiting for my replacement parts, I decided to remove the interior panel on the driver side door as well. It was a much easier procedure than the passenger side door was, being that it was the second time doing it. So far so good.

I am trying to figure out how to get the driver side window to stop rattling. Right now rolling the window down a bit and rolling it back up does the trick. I can't find anything obvious or loose. Any ideas? Felt channels?

Quick Reply: Taking my door apart. Help please.