Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 01:31 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

The ease with which an air-cooled Porsche passes an emission test is dependent
upon the model, i.e. With the stock '84 - '89 3.2 being the easiest and the
'96 - '98 993 being the most difficult in many cases (given OBDII). Second to
the 3.2 would be the '79 - '83 SC. The other most difficult engine is a carburetor
engine, i.e. Not easily being able to tweak the mixture. Most any early CIS engine
can be tweaked to pass via a mixture adjustment and/or a timing adjustment.
Although like the 911 3.2, the 964's timing can't easily be tweaked as with
the earlier 911s, the fuel mixture can be tweaked if necessary via the AFM
which is not the case for 993s. Additionally, the early 911s (pre-964) don't
have a CEL (check engine light).

Bottom line: Consider yourself lucky if you have a stock '78 - '89 air cooled
Porsche when it comes to an emissions test.

Last edited by Lorenfb; 03-27-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:37 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

....or a '95.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:33 PM
Marc Bixen
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm blushing

Many thanks to all who have written in. At Red Line we try to understand all facets of Porsche's (and Bosch's) design and execution of automotive technologies. To me the items that seem to be "common sense" or "basic knowledge" are revelations to others. I guess thats what happens with over 30 years of Porsche experience.
We also like to share our knowledge with our clients to help make there automotive experiences more pleasurable. If a smog test continues to be a problem then the car is a problem, the dealer will be very quick to sell you parts OR a new car. At Red Line we look at the situation and try to find the quickest, least expensive solution while still keeping your car 100% original.
I received a similar phone call last week from a 993 customer about smog. His local dealer, a very famous So. Cal dealership had recommended replacing the catalytic converter. They even offered to try to find him a "used" catalytic converter, which is not exactly within the laws. By the way, same dealer that told him his Blk/Blk one owner 95 993 needed an engine rebuild (for oil leaks) and offered him $7,500 for the car. We resealed the 4 leaking valve cover gaskets, replaced the leaking oil pressure line fitting washer that the dealer left loose at the last clutch replacement and sent him down the road. So we supplied him with the same "make sure your car is hot enough" diagnosis after he told us he drove 2 miles to the smog station from cold, and amazingly he passed the retest.
So short story long, find a shop you believe in, ask some of there clients there opinions and stick with them. Red Line is 35 miles distance from the original location 1975-2005 yet our cliental drive the extra miles for our quality work and honesty.
Last, those of you who mentioned our "projects" ,you know who you are and so do we, you've broken your promise. And no whalebird, things aren't covered due to damage. What's under the blanket is..........under the blanket.
Ed, we will be at RRIV. See you there.
You can see our photos at www.redlinetechnik.com then click on the Flickr link at the top right.
Attached Images  
Old 03-28-2011, 10:45 PM
RevMax
8th Gear

thanks marc for the input ... great articles (and parts) on your site at Red Line Technik. I like the cars under the cover also. Cars with great history along with the new modern stuff.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:56 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

See 'ya in October in Monterey!
Old 03-28-2011, 11:34 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

"See 'ya in October in Monterey!"

You should visit him before then and show him what you personally
did with your 3.2 engine. Marc would be very impressed.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:44 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Bixen
Many thanks to all.......
Last, those of you who mentioned our "projects" ,you know who you are and so do we, you've broken your promise.
You can see our photos at www.redlinetechnik.com then click on the Flickr link at the top right.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:51 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
"See 'ya in October in Monterey!"

You should visit him before then and show him what you personally
did with your 3.2 engine. Marc would be very impressed.
You know, that is an excellent idea Loren. If I can te a trip up in Ruby, to LB during the week sometime, I could also see the shop. And the blanket.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:02 AM
jakeflyer
Pro

Well, I passed smog today using the “MARC METHOD” of get it hot and then 5 minutes of 4000 to 4200 rpm on the freeway.

Not quite the end of story. The 1983 911SC with 150,000 was driven maybe 3,000 miles since last smogged at the same smog station by the same guy. The emissions were good but the timing was too advanced to get thru the first time. So I went home and set it at 5degrees with vacuum hoses plugged, returned and got the certificate. I don’t think the timing was checked last time I was in. Is this new or maybe I didn’t pay attention.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:50 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

"So I went home and set it at 5degrees with vacuum hoses plugged, returned and got the certificate."

It's great to have total control over how your engine is setup.
Just as simple as loosening the 13 mm nut and a small tweak.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:01 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Marc for a great post. I myself would love to visit the shop some day. Maybe a SoCal vacation is in the future. As for the blanket comment...well, I didn't want to imply that there was damage. The operative statement was "it's covered for a reason..."
Taking your time with the owners of these cars and even posting on the forum shows the dedication of a conscientious care-provider.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:00 PM
Marc Bixen
Intermediate

Whalebird, Ed you're more than welcome to stop by if you're in the area. Please call the shop as I'm not there 8-5 mon-fri. As I'm sure you guys are aware Red Line is a partial sponsor on 2 Grand-Am cars, Q3 Autosport Boxster in the Continental Tires Series and the Mitchum Motorsports GT3 in the Rolex series, so between that, historics and vender duties with RedLineTechnik.com as well as supporting the local Porsche club (Grand Prix Region), I keep myself pretty busy. The photo shows my ugly mug as well as our company shirts you'll see myself and other representatives of Red Line wearing at the track, please come by and introduce yourselves and get the up-close and personal tour of our cars.
Attached Images   
Old 03-29-2011, 02:07 PM
Marc Bixen
Intermediate

Jakeflyer, it's unusual for the timing to alter. Did you check the vacuum advance unit and make sure it's working properly? Or is it possible it was just another Certified smog inspector that didn't know what he was looking at? Also make sure your car is at operating temp. when you set the timing, it can make a 2-3 degree difference from cold to hot.
Attached Images  
Old 03-29-2011, 03:20 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice Marc. I'm on the east coast...so it will be a while. Until then, be safe and push hard out there.
My team-owner in IMSA told me once, "the guy that takes 1st worked twice as hard as the guy in 2nd"
All my best.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:46 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

HEY!!! I didn't break a promise, that car wasn't covered the last time that I was at your shop!

Quick Reply: Marc at Redline in Long Beach