Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

engine rebuild/ other options

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2002, 01:38 AM
funkky911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post engine rebuild/ other options

I have a 1970 911 T with the stock 2.2 I'm getting read to go ahead an pull the motor. My question is should I have the motor rebuilt, or replace it with a later/larger displacment engine. The car has a 901 trans, what would need to be done to make a larger, more current motor work, could I still use the mechanical guages?
If I decide to stick with the 2.2 who is a good rebuilder within a 2 state area of NC. If I was to have the 2.2 rebuilt what could I do to increase the HP, but not lose reliablity.
Sorry for the long post. Thanks Matt S.
Old 12-29-2002, 10:04 AM
Dickran
AutoX

I am considering a possible motor re-build for my 74 2.7 liter. What has caused you to consider re-building?

Dick
Old 12-30-2002, 03:39 PM
funkky911
Intermediate

It smokes like its got oil in the muffler
Old 12-30-2002, 06:59 PM
Dan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
funkky911, What would you be using your 70T for? Daily driving, spirited weekend outings, maybe some track and DE days?
Whats your budget.
You could go with a transplant to a larger engine as you stated. Check with a couple local shops when you find them. When I rebuilt recently I kept the 2.2 platform and went to an E more or less. Perfect for what I wanted.
Here is a link to one of my favorite early cars with a 2.2 modified up to a 2.5. Something to think about.
<a href="http://www.angelfire.com/mi4/motorsport/graywolf.html" target="_blank">The Grey Wolfe</a>
Take your time and write everything down. Pros and cons to each way you might end up going. Talk to as many people as possible. Check with your local PCA & POC Chapters for shops. Take every option your thinking of to its complete ending. Remember more HP may also mean better brakes, suspension, and other things.
Sorry for the long reply, I just think that you may only have one chance to do this the way you want. Everyone you talk to will have opinions. Take them all in and find out what works best for you. Another resource is Bruce Andersons book on 911s, and Wayne Dempsey's Engine rebuild book.
Check out these other links for them.
<a href="http://www.101projects.com/rebuild.htm" target="_blank">engine rebuild book</a>
<a href="http://www.911handbook.com/" target="_blank">Bruce Anderson</a>
Okay, Im done for now. Keep us posted as you progress.

Quick Reply: engine rebuild/ other options