Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Leak down test.....feedback please

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 01:53 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
Aaahh, all that work - that's not necessary! When doing a leak down test, simply put the engine on TDC for the cylinder that you're going to test, then remove the spark plug. With both valves closed no contamination can occur... Use 80 psi going in, and do the math regarding how much the cylinder holds. 100 psi is easier from the math perspective, but not quite as accurate.

Briggs lawn mower...LOL!!!
Pete, too funny that you post this after your earlier post. When I read the first one I was thinking of slamming out a post saying that one of the Wise Men of the Porsche World (who I now was mistakenly thinking was Anderson) advised me 25+ years ago to do a leakdown by pulling the plug only after TDC. I'd not been burned by carbon hanging a valve at that point, so it was news to me. And to use less than 100PSI. Which I'd always done as I had a funky gauge that topped out under 100.

Was in your old neighborhood over the weekend, took a run up Colorado to see if the shop building was there. Didn't remember the address. Probably long gone from all the redevelopment though.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:09 AM
jakeflyer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Peter,
Pull the plug at tdc and avoid carbon chips under the valve. Why didn’t you tell me this 20 or 30 years ago. Actually you did state exactly that in a post some time before and I did not catch the logic and wisdom. Duuh

Excellent information Peter.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:00 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by race911

Was in your old neighborhood over the weekend, took a run up Colorado to see if the shop building was there. Didn't remember the address. Probably long gone from all the redevelopment though.
Originally Posted by jakeflyer
Peter,
Pull the plug at tdc and avoid carbon chips under the valve. Why didn’t you tell me this 20 or 30 years ago. Actually you did state exactly that in a post some time before and I did not catch the logic and wisdom. Duuh

Excellent information Peter.
Thanks, guys! Ken; the old building is still there. The address is "720", which is all that I had on the front (Colorado side) of the building. We didn't have a sign because we had to maintain that Los Angeles notoriety, you know...actually, it was because I was too cheap to spend the $800 for a sign!
Old 03-25-2011, 06:30 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
Thanks, guys! Ken; the old building is still there. The address is "720", which is all that I had on the front (Colorado side) of the building. We didn't have a sign because we had to maintain that Los Angeles notoriety, you know...actually, it was because I was too cheap to spend the $800 for a sign!
And now I see in the other thread that the shop is now located down in Long Beach with the current owner.

Funnyism about not spending the bucks for the sign. Over on the 993 board a guy was asking about bringing his own part in to be installed. (Griffiths evaporator on a 993 Turbo, retail is $550 and the shop says they'll charge $800.) I cannot believe the attitude that prevails out there--thinking Porsche shop owners are rolling in it. I'd say most are in the bottom quartile, as compared to their customers. I sure know I was..............
Old 03-25-2011, 06:44 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably a fair guess ken. A Porsche-only shop/tech does not rake it in like most would think. I do know a couple of guys that do pretty good, at least OK, but they are not Porsche only. I know Mercedes was far more profitable for me, but padding the lifts with an occasional BMW, VW/Audi, Volvo or Benz can be helpful to paying the bills(I won't even mention the Rover whirlpool). Then again, an experienced Porsche wrench/established shop doesn't want a BMW or Audi anywhere near their shop if you know what I mean.
Good point you bring up.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:56 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

If you care to wade through the hilarity: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=21505
Old 03-25-2011, 07:19 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

That thread's premise is silly. Either DIY, or take it to the shop and let them do it. Nothing wrong with requesting specific brands, though IMO.

I've got the opportunity to become a partner in an expanding German-centric shop in San Diego County right now. A lot of MB, BMW and Audi work, with a number of 996's coming in now too. They've recently done their first rebuilds on those. One had a broken piston skirt. The 1" x 2" chunk made it to the bottom of the case with no collateral damage, which is fortunate. They do OK, and the BMW group seems apt to bring 'em in and ask for Dinan goodies on A regular basis now-so the "Motorsports" aspect is what is being focused on more and more at this shop. Decisions, decisions...

Oh, they are getting some 911's too, I wouldn't be totally lost. They've got the MB, BMW and Audi computer setups with the software subscriptions, and the mechanical talent already. If I do this, it would be more admin and marketing in my responsibilities.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:29 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Hey, if you're not interested put me in touch...............
Old 03-25-2011, 07:38 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm pretty darned interested. A friend, who I've known a long time started it a couple of years ago, and has found a good niche, especially with people keeping cars a bit longer now. Lord knows, the SD area has its fair share of German cars on the road. My buddy is one of the best natural mechanics I've ever met, and has racing experience from his younger days in Europe-so he has the proper accent too! He's at the point where the office stuff is taking too much of his time, and he'd rather be under a car on the lift.

Quick Reply: Leak down test.....feedback please