Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1975 911S - Barney

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 05:46 PM
rnellums
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ODO

I just saw your thread. I just had one thought for you about the speedo. I am not too familiar with 911's just yet, since most of my experience is with 914's. but if I am not mistaken that is the speedometer off a 1974/5 914.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:21 PM
privatepang
Advanced

So guess I should provide an update. Car has been off the road for the last 3 months. Have had electrical issues and CIS fuel injection problems. The engine developed a nasty misfire in cylinder 6 and I had issues cold and warm starting the car.

Electrical issue I had was with a battery drain & constant power to the car even with ignition switch off. I would start the car, turn the key to turn if off and car would keep running! Issues was attributed to a faulty headlight switch and alternator. Had the switch replaced and the alternator rebuilt.

CIS issues: Injectors were leaking and not spraying evenly. Had them profesionally cleaned and flow tested and that's been a massive improvement. There was actually a fair bit of rust inside the injectors! Had to replace the fuel distributor as well. Mixture **** was siezed as well so we couldn't tune the car properly. Both these fixes seems to have cured the misfire for the moment. Compression and leakdown was done and they came back with good results for a 35 year old motor!

CV's also were on their way out so had to get that cleaned and repacked.

Lastly had to take off the top valve covers, sand them down as they were warped. Gaskets for the upper/lower valve covers were replaced as well and everything was tightened. This has fortunately dealt with the majority of the oil leaks coming from the bottom of the engine. Was worried that I would have to split the case and do a rebuild which on a 2.7 would be a minimum of 10k!

Massive thanks to Rick for all the help with this.

So all in all, car was run yesterday for the first time in 3 months and you have no idea how much of a relief it is that it starts on the turn of a key cold or warm and that it now drives and idles well!

Some of the things I think I've taken for granted driving modern cars

I'll try and get a vid of the engine running in the next few days!
Old 10-24-2011, 07:07 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Great looking color, goes well with the chrome trim! I hope you replaced the big plastic air "tube" on the left side of the engine compartment (you had said you were going to). That needs to be in place to push the air through the heater system and then underneath to the heat exchangers. Do not leave those holes open.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:07 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

sweet looking car.... one day she'll be well sorted, priceless.

Love the H1's.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:06 PM
zuggerat
Intermediate

The Fuchs look awesome all black!
Old 10-24-2011, 09:09 PM
privatepang
Advanced

Yeah the fuchs work really well. I didnt even intend to get them but got them a good price and it seems to match the purple nicely. Yeah Ive been wanting a porsche for a long time so finally decided to buy it when this one came up through my mechanic. wasn't even advertised.

Well i actually capped off the duct for the heat exchanger as my blower motor is busted. Need to find a replacement.

Yeah I havent seen many young people driving these older 911's. Get lots of compliments at the gas station which is always a morale booster when the car has been off the road for the last few months
Old 10-24-2011, 10:07 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Even if your blower motor is not working air is still pushed through the system and works its way down to the heat exchangers and either into the cabin to keep you warm or vented out underneath the car.

If you have heat exchangers you must have air moving through them. Make sure all the proper hoses are in place.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:11 PM
zuggerat
Intermediate

Dump the heat exchangers and go straight headers!
Old 10-25-2011, 02:29 AM
Euronavy
Instructor

^that
Old 10-25-2011, 10:42 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SSI / Monty or M&K 2 in/out ^^^
Old 10-25-2011, 02:13 PM
privatepang
Advanced

One my exchangers has actually rusted quite badly that there's a hole on the underside of it. SSI's would be awesome but need to save for them.

Yea i'll cap off the hoses for now so that I can get at least some heat in the cabin. Annoying as windscreen keeps getting fogged up.

Headers would be awesome but I don't want the car to overly loud. Wouldnt headers make it considerably louder?
Old 10-25-2011, 04:06 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

it depends on the muffler you use... generally, yes they will be loud. But, you will loose your heating... stick with heat exchangers for defrost/heat.... I would put the hose back on the flapper box and the exchangers... winter is quickly approaching.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:30 PM
privatepang
Advanced

Well here are the latest photos. Nothing has changed externally really but I've never taken enough photos of past cars so not gonna make that same mistake with this one!

Old 11-01-2011, 04:24 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sit'in low. Just right if you ask me. Honestly...I'm not crazy about the all black wheels. Polished pedals with painted crest centers A'la stock, or raw sandblsted without centers is racey. My opinion only.
Got it running as you like?
Old 11-01-2011, 04:45 PM
privatepang
Advanced

Yeah i wasn't a fan of the all black as well but they came up for a good price and couldnt say no. They've defitnely grown on me though.

Yeah running a lot better. Latest is the decel valve seems to be faulty. Doesn't idle under 2k rpm once I accelerate but idles fine when i start it up. I'll be plugging the vacuum hose to see if that helps.

Quick Reply: 1975 911S - Barney