New Owner - hesitation question

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 01:30 AM
mbxtreme2
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner - hesitation question

Hey Guys,
I've been lusting after a 911 for a long time and finally bought a 83' 911 Targa. Definitely a driver and needs some cosmetic love - which should be a good project.
I have a slight hesitation at 4k rpm under heavy throttle. The car hasn't been driven much in the last 6 years, so I've started to do the normal maintainance work, and have changed the oil, air filter so far. I plan to do the cap/rotor/plugs next thinking the hesitation is due to ignition and they probably need to be replaced anyhow.
I read on the forum about frequency valves effecting hesitations/power loss? When I first read it I thought maybe you vetrans were doing a little hazing on a noobie - "check your left handed smoke shifter" sort of thing.
Where is the frequency valve, and how easy/expensive is it to change?
Thanks for your help.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:22 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,109 Likes on 793 Posts

pics or your banned !!!!

other than that welcome to the gang .. the 83SC is a nice machine and once you get it sorted you should be okay . DId you have a PPI ? what shape are the head studs in ? In SCs they can break but that is about the worse case on this motor.

if you haven't had a leakdown or don't know the state of the headstuds inspect ASAP. s this could save you a lot of running around. if all that is okay then continue with your t/s cap, plugs, wires , fuel filter all possible ..even the fuel pump .. the frequency valve is definitely possible but i fdon't have one so can't really help there.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:40 PM
mbxtreme2
3rd Gear

Thanks for the advice. I will adjust the valves soon and check the studs then. I thought that issue was mostly sorted out by 83'?
I searched a long time for the right 911 with all the good intentions of doing a PPI and instead did a lot of research, and let emotions take over and jumped on what I think was a good deal - hopefully I wasn't wrong. I'm sure you've all heard that before!
I tried to post pics - but the forum was looking for a URL, not simply a file to upload. I'll check around and figure it out.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:55 PM
mbxtreme2
3rd Gear

Default 83 911 SC Photos

Here are a couple photos of my new (to me) 83 SC.
Needs some cosmetic love, but mechanically seems to have been looked after. I've got receipts dating back 10 years and 30k miles - unfortunately nothing before then.
Since these photos were taken I've done a lot of maintainance and cleaning up of the car, the PO sold it quickly due to a divorce. I removed the AC compressor and condenser, as the condenser had a leak and I don't want/need AC with a car that has a removable roof.
I'm missing the air compressor and tool kit original to the car - would love to find a replacement. Any after market suppliers/re manufacturers of tool kits?

Thanks for your advice guys!
Attached Images    
Old 03-06-2011, 11:12 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 233 Posts

I recently had some hesitation around 3200 RPM...it was one bad fuel injector...a quick replacement and it fixed right up. Good luck with your car.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:30 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,109 Likes on 793 Posts

nice car .. some TLC and that is gonna be great
Old 03-06-2011, 11:54 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

If you suspect injectors, then you can have them all serviced and balanced for a little over $100.

Quick Reply: New Owner - hesitation question